Unplugged fps drop

Shervee13
Shervee13 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So my Acer Predator 15 fps drops when unplugged at high settings, for example, when plugged in it has 100fps then unplug it it will go down to 40fps, i alreadt tried setting power to maximum or nvidia control panel etc., but still does not work, or is it just because the laptop is on for 7 hours straight?
Pls help..

Answers

• AvikDe
    AvikDe Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    This thing happens to my nitro 5 also
  • Raided
    Raided Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

To run overclocked you need to have the laptop plugged in and at least 30% battery. (In predator sense there is a little notice under the normal tab)
  • So you checked Maximum frequency and Link State Power Management in your power plan settings? Have you tried looking at the Intel Graphic Control Panel?

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I have tried and tested everything and this is just how the laptop is designed to work. When the CPU is under no or little load(using 1 core only), the frequency will go up to the maximum allowed for 1 core. When the CPU is under load the frequency won't go past 50% of max frequency. Same for the GPU. You can try setting the power settings to max performance, but it won't help.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• SagarJ
    SagarJ Member Posts: 6 New User
    there will ba a performance difference between any laptop while plugged and unlugged 
    its just the way they are 
    the gpu and cpu probably too remain underclocked while on battery to save power 
    you could search online to try and change this from bios but I don't think there is a way 
  • I have found a setting within GeForce Experience that might be causing this problem for you, but do take note your battery will last very little.

In GeForce Experience under Settings, Games there is a battery boost option. Try either moving the slider around or disabling it. 

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • j_e_d_i_m_a_s_t_e_r
    j_e_d_i_m_a_s_t_e_r Member Posts: 3 New User
    Im having the same dilemma. Im using a Predator15 and it runs smoothly with high fps when plugged in. But fps drops down when i unplug it from power source. Predator sense TURBO only works when it is plugged in. I find it funny, how can i call it portable gaming if i cant play well having portability at the same time. It feels like im still using a very thin desktop since im obliged to plug it always for better gaming experience. Unlike the laptop of my brother, he’s using a ROG Strix, the games run real fast (plugged in or not), downside for him is that his laptop gets hot (but was managed with down regulating the voltage). What’s the point of having so much power for this laptop if it has a ***** handicap.
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,749 Pathfinder
    @j_e_d_i_m_a_s_t_e_r @Shervee13 @AvikDe

It doesn't matter what setting you use - battery alone CANNOT supply all needed power when CPU and GPU are at full throttle. So GPU is force reduced in terms of max output when it detects no power supply. This is a feature! You can game light on battery, but for heavy gaming you do need power supply to be connected. And ignore all that normal turbo thingy when on battery. The max speed on battery is much lower than the normal 1404 or whatever speed you see on normal.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve