Acer TC 115 Monitor Input - Question

MikaL
MikaL Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2017 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
So, I've got the Acer Aspire TC-115, which I got a few years ago. I'm about to buy another Acer K272HLE monitor (I've already got one), which has both VGA and DVI inputs. BUT! My computer's VGA input has never worked, so I've always used the DVI input, which I've only got a single input of, so I was thinking: What if I got a DVI-to-HDMI cable, so I could use my free HDMI input. Would that work?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Wiki: 
    Since 2008, PC manufacturers have gradually upgraded the PC's controller to support HDMI-output in addition to DVI. Due to electrical and pin compatibility between the DVI and HDMI, only a simple passive adapter (or DVI-D to HDMI cable) is necessary in order for the PC to output HDMI to a compatible HDMI-display (such as a television), and take advantage of HDMI features (such as audio output.)

so, no difference.
    I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    HDMI to DVI will work.
  • MikaL

Tinkerer

> @IronFly said:
    > HDMI to DVI will work.

And just to be sure, I would not experience any difference between my main monitor which is purely DVI to DVI, and my second monitor with DVI from the monitor to the HDMI port in the computer? No difference with audio or graphics, right?
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Wiki: 
    Since 2008, PC manufacturers have gradually upgraded the PC's controller to support HDMI-output in addition to DVI. Due to electrical and pin compatibility between the DVI and HDMI, only a simple passive adapter (or DVI-D to HDMI cable) is necessary in order for the PC to output HDMI to a compatible HDMI-display (such as a television), and take advantage of HDMI features (such as audio output.)

so, no difference.
  • MikaL

Tinkerer

So,

I have bought the new monitor, and have connected the monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable (HDMI output from my PC to DVI input on my monitor). The monitor just says "No signal". I suspect that it's the HDMI port that's turned off. Can I manually activate the port in some way?
  • MikaL

Tinkerer

EDIT:

After some more research, I've found out that I'm using a DVI to VGA cable in my main monitor, and I'm now trying to connect my second monitor with a HDMI to DVI cable. Will this work? I still suspect that it's the HDMI port that's turned off.
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017
    with both monitor connected, boot to windows, right click on the desktop and click on Display settings
    click on Detect monitors if you have this options
    or check if your secondary monitor is detected
    you can try also
    windows logo + p key
    and click to extend and check if your monitor works
  • MikaL

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    with both monitor connected, boot to windows, right click on the desktop and click on Display settings
    click on Detect monitors if you have this options
    or check if your secondary monitor is detected
    you can try also
    windows logo + p key
    and click to extend and check if your monitor works
    This does not work. I've tried to both detect my second monitor and tried to extend the desktop via Windows Key + P
  • IronFly
    edited November 2017
    and if you connect just one with HDMI-DVI cable, does it work?
    if so, probably the secondary HDMI output is disabled.
  • MikaL

Tinkerer

The problem is solved. Apparently I've got two HDMI outputs on my computer, which I didn't know. I only thought I had one, which was the one that is sitting right below my VGA output, so that was what I plugged it into, until I tried to unplug my DVI-to-VGA cable to see if the monitor would turn on, then I spotted that there was another HDMI output to the side of my DVI output, so I tried to plugin the HDMI-to-DVI cable into that, for my second monitor, and now it's working. It was just me making a stupid error  =) Thank you for trying to help @IronFly. I appreciate it!
  • IronFly
    ahahaha
    you welcome :D
  • mrjohnmartinez
    mrjohnmartinez Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I downloaded the Intel Driver and Support Assistant. It scanned my computer and I was able to download the current graphics driver. This resolved the issue