I bought my laptop a month ago. Last week it started behaving strangely during hangout video calls on Chrome - webcam started turning on & off randomly. Today during a video call I was completely unable to turn on the webcam because Chrome displayed warning that there is no webcam detected.
1. I tried restarting the browser & laptop. I also tried using the incognito mode in Chrome.
2. I checked the Windows Privacy camera settings - everyting was fine.
3. I checked the device manager - Webcam HD was greyed and in the properties I found "error 45". I tried to update the drivers, but it seems that my drivers were up-to-date.
4. I checked the Acer drivers page for this model, but I was unable to find the dedicated drivers. When I tried to install the chipset drivers I got a message that I've got later driver installed.
5. Finally I removed the Webcam HD in the device manager & restarted the laptop for the driver to be automatically reinstalled but it didn'w work - the Webcam is no longer visible in the device manager. When I try to update the drivers I still get the message that chipset is up-to-date.
BTW, when I open up Windows Camera application the webcam starts working (only in this application).
Is there anything I can do other than reverting the laptop to factory settings? I'm not sure if this would help and the error 45 wouldn't show up in the (near) future.