Predator Helios 300 battery not charging when gaming

Steve575
Steve575 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hello,
I recently bought a Acer Predator Helios 300 317-51 (17" version) and I noticed something strange while gaming. My battery won't charge while gaming and even loses some % of charge in a couple hours of gaming.
I understand that gaming is very demanding but I'm wondering if this won't have long term effect on my battery?
I'm also wondering if the performance of my laptop can be bottlenecked by the power supply? If so is it possible to change the power supply with the one from a higher end Predator for example?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Steve

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I wouldn't worry about battery draining(losing percentage) a little bit, while gaming. I think it is a safe feature, as I have heard it is not good for the battery to be constantly on 100% when being used intensively, but this is just my assumption.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• IIIDestroyer111
    IIIDestroyer111 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    I recently bought the acer predator helios 300 and i have same issue on heavy games battery goes to the minimum of 92% didn't see any lower then that and sometimes while gaming it goes up a little bit to like 95% but wont ever go higher then that while gaming is that okay or should i go to the services ? And replace it or fix it ?
  • Nitro_UK
    Nitro_UK Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 2018
    I have the same laptop and the exact same problem. It even got to a point where my battery was at critical while gaming and it shutdown! I've had gaming laptops before but never came across an issue like this, which is clearly linked to a weak PSU.

The only way I was able to minimise the battery drain was by fiddling with the battery performance plans.
    It just seems like I am constantly having to lower the performance of this laptop, whether it be performance plan or undervolting, which makes me wonder why I paid for something that I can never utilise to its full performance.