RL85 BIOS Issue

Mick0411
Mick0411 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Tried updating the BIOS to latest version, no errors, however, after boot have no Memory showing or AHCI Ports, the version does not match with the latest I used. Basically, I can't boot because no AHCI Ports etc. What are my options? Can I boot from USB and try to re-flash? If yes, how do I do it? Help appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer
    Does the BIOS menu show ACER or AMI as the mfr? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mick0411
    Mick0411 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Programmer video (instructions):

*****remember drivers & swap cables around & verify

Bright red light required on programmers for drivers

1. Ordered a SPI programmer and a Fitting cable for it.

2. Downloaded a SPI programmer Software and Windows 10 USB drivers for the programmer. Don't know if I'm allowed to post the links here. I'm sure you will find something ;)

3. Installed USB Driver for Windows 10. Don't know if this is really necessary.

4. Disassembled the Acer RL85 so I have acces to the mainboard. Removed battery, CMOS and RAM.

5. Attach the cable to the USB programmer, be sure you will take the Connection Points in the back (not the ones which are closer to the USB Port).

6. Make sure the Jumper on the programmer is on PIN 1 and 2. You can see the PIN Numbers by turning the programmer around. By Default it should be already correct.

7. Connect the programmer to any USB Port on your Computer where the Programming Software and the drivers are installed.

8. Search for the EEPROM on your Acer RL85. It is marked with SPI and connect the other side of the Programmer cable to the EEPROM (This is the side with the Clip ;)). SPI should be Close to the Card Reader.

9. Make sure the Clip is correctly connected to the EEPROM and every elecric line is connected.

10. Start the programmer and make sure that in the lower right Corner "Device state connected" appears. If not the connection is not fitting correctly or you have to turn the Clip 180 degrees and attach it again.

11. To check the final connection press "Detect Chip" in the programmer. If nothing will be shown your connection is faulty. Otherwise you will get back two chips. Choose the first one.

12. Press "Read" and save your current BIOS.

13. Download ther acer.bin from jcd69.

14. Load the acer.bin with the programmer and press write. Now the acer.bin will be flashed to your EEPROM.

15. Disconnect the cable and put your RL85 together again. Set the CMOS to normal state.

16. Boot into Windows and download the most current BIOS Version from Acer. NOW USE THE FLASH.BAT LIKE DISCRIBED IN THE MANUAL

17. Device is now fully updated with the current BIOS Version of acer.
  • SydW
    SydW Member Posts: 1 New User
    Need to get a hold of the acer.bin file please.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer

Start your own thread and state your problem along with full ACER model number. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ams098
    Ams098 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Had my RL85 with the same issue repaired by Acer under warranty back in 2017  (Acer authorized service center reflashed the BIOS for me)