How can I install Linux on Acer Predator G3620

Options
voss
voss Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Hey there,

a few weeks ago I tried to install KDE Neon, a Linux distribution, on my PC. I didn't delete Windows yet from my PC and wanted to create a dual boot system.
When I finally installed Linux from an USB stick it told me, that it will reboot the PC to finish the installation. As the PC tried to reboot it started Windows instead of Linux, so I changed the boot order and installed Linux again (Maybe I should also add, that I use a different disc for Linux). When it wanted to reboot again it ended up with the error message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device". I googled a long time for this error and found out that the normal BIOS won't start Linux (thanks Microsoft and Acer) and I have to install a different BIOS, which can be downloaded on the Acer page.
As I made a DOS bootable stick with the new BIOS on it, I booted from this stick and it won't work.

Could please someone tell me how to install Linux on this PC and why Acer is doing so much ***** with it system?
I would love it, if someone could make a step by step description.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited October 2017
    Options
    what's the actual BIOS version on your desktop and which one are you trying to flash?
    have you tried to repair the windows OS installation?
    is your BIOS set to UEFI or Legacy/LaunchCSM?
    if KDE Neon is instaled on another drive, i can suggest you to disconnect the "windows HDD/SSD", install linux on ther other HDD/SSD, be sure it boots and then use the F12 key at boot to bring up the boot menu and choose which device you need to boot.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • voss
    Options
    Currently I have UEFI installed (Version P11-A3) and I'm trying to install version P11.A3L, which can be found on the acer firmware website (https://www.acer.com/ac/de/DE/content/support-product/4237?b=1&pn=DT.SJPEG.145).
    I didn't try to repair Windows yet, but what would that mean, because I don't think that Windows is responsible for the non-boot of Linux.
    Secure boot is disabled and LaunchCSM is set to always.
    I can try to do this, but I think it's better to have a solution for that without plugging in and out the discs every time I want to change the OS.
  • IronFly
    Options
    no, don't do it!
    the L version is only for factory linux installed, if you install the L version you will loose the windows 10 product key.

1) you must set LaunchCSM to never or you will not able to boot windows
    2) your Linux distro must be x64 and EFI compatible
    3) the installation media (USB flash drive) with Linux distro must be GPT partition scheme and FAT32 formatted to be able to boot with LaunchCSM never (so in pure UEFI mode)
    4) the HDD disconnect thing is just for installation and to not mix the GRUBs, once done, you can have both HDD connected and just boot from the needed one  using the F12 boot menu list.
  • voss
    Options
    LaunchCSM ist already set to Always and I am still able to boot Windows. When I'm right, KDE Neon should be EFI compatible and is only available in x64.
    I don't have the problem to install the OS. I have already done this and it is installed on my other disk.
  • IronFly
    Options
    if you are able to boot windows under LaunchCSM, this means it was not installed under UEFI and it's not so good, since UEFI is way safer on virusa attacks to BIOS.
    by the way, if your system is now able to boot from both Linux and Windows, leave it as is.