acer predator 300 nvidia gtx 1060 dissabled can not be activated? also Missing hard drive caddy

Options
csquaredd
csquaredd Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

so just got the laptor about 5 hours ago and i have done every type of troubleshooting i can think of to enable to gpu and to update it accordingly.... it has not workied and the internal gpu is primary.. i have tried to dissable the intel gpu and it has yet to work.... please help

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    I can't understand what you are trying to explain.

Are you able to access Nvidia control panel?
    Does the GTX 1060 appear in device manager?

There is no way to disable integrated graphics.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

The NVIDIA GPU should only kick on if you're playing a game (unless you are connected to an external display where it will take control and disable internal GPU). It won't come on while you're watching a video or anything else.

Press winkey+x and click on "Device Manager" and click on the little arrow next to "Display Adapters" and tell us what is says there

Edit: Also here is a post on information regarding the missing caddy+cable: http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-Helios-300-Missing-HDD-caddy-and-SATA-cable/m-p/525192/highlight/true#M6495

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,153 Trailblazer
    Options
  • csquaredd
    Options
    OK so basically I Try to run a game such as rainbow 6 siege... the game is being run by the integrated intel graphics and it doesn't Recognize that I even have the dedicated graphics card i.e. The GTX1060 .

Also I did not have The laptop connected to an external display. Just trying to play on the screen of the laptop
  • Flx
    Options

Do this for us please, press windows key + x and there will be a menu that pops up, click on "Device Manager" and then look for "Display Adapters" and press the little arrow next to it, does it show 1 or 2 gpus listed?

• ven98
    Options
    In this case open nvidia control panel and from 3d settings, preferred graphics processor choose high performance nvidia.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• csquaredd
    Options
    It has to display adapters listed the Intel HD graphics 630 and the nvidia G force GTX1060 however the nvidia GTX1060 has a yellow triangle With an exclamation on it .When I click into properties it says windows has stopped using this device because it is reported a problem code 43
  • Flx
    Options

Have you updated the driver for Nvidia? From NVIDIA website not Acer

• csquaredd
    Options
    I disable the driver then Enabled it again and tried to update it and it gave me a blue screen for the 4th time
  • Flx
    Options

Okay reboot into safe mode, uninstall the Nvidia driver from Device manager and reboot into normal mode. After that go http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/125520/en-us here and download that driver and try to install it.

• csquaredd
    Options
    I tried
    Invidia installer cannot continue:
    " this graphic driver could not find compatible graphics hardware"
  • Flx
    Options

Hmm that is peculiar indeed. What is your laptop model number?

• csquaredd
    Options
    N17c1
  • Flx
    Options

Okay just for future reference that is a g3-571 model of Helios 300. Forget the Nvidia driver for a minute, have you updated your laptop drivers from this page (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7213?b=1) at all? Also what version of BIOS do you have you might want to update to the latest before anything else.

• ven98
    Options
    After you update BIOS and if it doesn't fix this issue, go in device manager>view>show hidden devices. After that a new section 'other devices' will appear. Check if nvidia gpu will be shown there.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• csquaredd
    Options
    I just manually update the bios to the Newest version from what I can tell...Once again Blue screen of death
  • Flx
    Options

That isn't right, might be time to call tech support. What error code do you get when it BSODs

• ven98
    Options
    Open device manager. Click on display adapters. Does the GTX 1060 appear there?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• csquaredd
    Options
    Yes it shows.
  • Flx
    Options

So does it still have the yellow triangle with exclamation point? You can download a program called "Display driver uninstaller", run it in safe mode and erase the NVIDIA driver only. Then go to acer support and download the NVIDIA driver from there and see if it will run.