Safe GPU temp limit - G9-793

Opções
ChevyCam94
ChevyCam94 Member Posts: 178 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
editado março 2023 em Arquivo de 2017

I have the 1070, 8GB

Im actually looking at letting my GPU mine Monero overnight sometimes.  Once or twice a week.  But I want to know that it's temps are within an acceptable range.

I have a custom power plan, based on Power Saver, with the CPU set to max at 30%, min at 0%.  CPU temps run about 136F. and GPU temps run about 154F, with System claiming 94F.  All values are taken from Acer PredatorSense.  I could lower my CPU to 15% or 20%, and it would do just fine, so I can drop a couple degrees there.

Are those temps viable for occasional overnight mining?

Melhor resposta

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Responder ✓
    Opções
    154F is perfectly fine for constant running. Most times temperatures in the PC industry are recorded with centigrade and not Fahrenheit.

154F is around 63C which is very average for GPUs. They can experience fluctuations to near 80 and be safe, but if they go near the 80C mark, it will decrease their life expectancy but will likely be longer than other hardware in the laptop will last.

I'll give an example, I had an old desktop GTX 460 and it would run up to 88C while gaming, and it still lasted 4+ years of almost daily gaming.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Respostas

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Opções

Yea those temps are completely fine.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Opções
    Both CPU and GPU temperatures are fine, but I am not sure whether it is good to let them run at these temperatures overnight.

Mining with Nvidia GPUs is totally not worth it especially on laptops. The price of the laptop is much higher than a PC and you have more components likely to break down sooner - GPU, CPU and battery.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ChevyCam94
    Opções

I have a java script (web page based) miner that uses vistors CPU cycles to mine (with permission from the visitor), and it gets about 60 H/s on my laptop.

The NVIDIA miner I use is xmr-stak-nvidia, and it gets about 600 H/s.

Still, I'd consider building a custom desktop, JUST for mining, without spending $2500+ on a stupid AISC miner.  I'm not looking to get rich, but it would be extra money nevertheless.

Don't remember if I can post links to external places, but an admin can tell me no if they want.

www.steelroms.com/miner.html

• Flx
    Opções

I don't think overnight is bad, how many hours are you talking 8-12? I've had my laptop on gaming for that long (taking breaks for myself of course) and the temperatures were rock steady. As long as you aren't doing it every night day after day I think it'd be fine.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Opções
    Do you take the amount of electricity that the laptop uses into account?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ChevyCam94
    Opções

In my current situation, I don't have to worry about the electric bill.  So that's not part of the factor.  I'm just wondering if the laptop can handle the constant computations for a 9 or 10 hour period, a couple times a week.  Not looking to burn out the laptop, it was pretty expensive.

• Flx
    Opções

You're fine a couple nights a week dude, your temps sound fine and nothing crazy. Go for it

• ChevyCam94
    Opções
    Thanks for all the replies. At what temps should I start to worry?
  • Flx
    Opções

Depends but around 90c is when things start throttling typically so somewhere around 80-85 I would investigate, if it gets that high.

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Responder ✓
    Opções
    154F is perfectly fine for constant running. Most times temperatures in the PC industry are recorded with centigrade and not Fahrenheit.

154F is around 63C which is very average for GPUs. They can experience fluctuations to near 80 and be safe, but if they go near the 80C mark, it will decrease their life expectancy but will likely be longer than other hardware in the laptop will last.

I'll give an example, I had an old desktop GTX 460 and it would run up to 88C while gaming, and it still lasted 4+ years of almost daily gaming.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss