Acer Predator Helios 300 high frequency at all times

Options
Hari13
Hari13 Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi!

I tried undervolting using Intel XTU initially (-0.130 mV) due to high temperatures while gaming. It worked fine, until two days back,the CPU clock speed would stay above 3.0 GHz even under idle. This is severely affecting the battery life. Please help me to solve this high clock speed issue.

Best Answer

• Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I honestly do not really know. Maybe try going through and installing all the drivers for your laptop. There is a TurboBoost driver, maybe it will help?

And just to be sure, go in your power Settings and see what the Minimum Processor State is set at. It should be at 5%.

Sorry for not being of more help.

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    In power options(left click on battery icon and select power options) set the power plan to 'balanced'.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Hari13
    Options

I have already set the power plan to "Balanced" and furthermore restored the plan's default settings. But it doesn't seem to work. Smiley Sad

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can try with updating the BIOS. Make sure before updating that battery is fully charged and laptop connected to charger.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Also even though your system appears 'idle' it will still be using processor power in the background to do other tasks

• Hari13
    Options

I have updated the latest BIOS and I noticed something. After powering up, the system is normal. But after a gaming session and exiting the game, the processor clock speed just stays in the boost mode. It's like it has forgotten to step down to the ordinary clock speed. It starts behaving normally only when I shut down the laptop and switch it on again.Smiley Frustrated

• Hari13
    Options

Is there anyone who can help me with this issue?

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

What model is your laptop?

• Hari13
    Options

Acer Predator Helios 300 (G3-571)

• Skelomorph
    Options
    Even if the clock is at 3.0GHz, are all 4 cores running at that speed, or only 1? It would be normal for 1 core to run at the speed.

You can use CPUID's HWMonitor to see each cores individual clock speed.

Skelo
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

- Dr. Seuss
  • Hari13
    Options
    Almost all the cores are running at 3.0 GHz speeds... I am really worried. I am unable to figure out the solution for this.
  • Hari13
    Options
    > @Skelomorph said:
    > Even if the clock is at 3.0GHz, are all 4 cores running at that speed, or only 1? It would be normal for 1 core to run at the speed.
    >
    > You can use CPUID's HWMonitor to see each cores individual clock speed.
    >
    > Skelo

Almost all the cores are running at 3.0 GHz speeds... I am really worried. I am unable to figure out the solution for this.
  • Hari13
    Options
    Even the utilization is in the range of low 8 to 14%.
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    The only thing I can think of it your power plans are switching somehow. Some programs, such as avast!'s gaming mode will switch your power profile. In these profiles under processor power management you can change the minimum and maximum processor state. Set minimum to 5%. You can also throttle the cpu by changing the maximum to 50%. If something is changing the power plan, change all power plan settings to be the same and test it out.

Another thing that I have saw is make sure in your Nvidia settings that the power management mode is on adaptive. 

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    edited October 2017
    Options

Hello Hari13,

I'm sorry that you're having issues with your Predator product, i will recommend to contact your local Acer support for better assistance, https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ where you can select the country of your location and under support tab you can find the available service centers and technical support phone numbers.

Can you also send me a PM with your unit serial number for follow up?

Thanks

Acer-Manny

• Hari13
    Options
    The only thing I can think of it your power plans are switching somehow. Some programs, such as avast!'s gaming mode will switch your power profile. In these profiles under processor power management you can change the minimum and maximum processor state. Set minimum to 5%. You can also throttle the cpu by changing the maximum to 50%. If something is changing the power plan, change all power plan settings to be the same and test it out.

Another thing that I have saw is make sure in your Nvidia settings that the power management mode is on adaptive. 

Skelo
    Hi Skelomorph!
    I don't have any anti virus other than Windows Defender. I checked the power plan while normal browsing and gaming, it's at Balanced, no change in that too."https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ijLyWx8Ep-2MeQALB9Bl8VImg2orez7/view?usp=sharing". This is the usage while the computer starts and stays like this for quite a while. The battery life has come down from a solid 5 hour run to bare 2.5 to 3 hours.
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    Do me favor and take a screen shot of the processes you have running at boot (the ones using most processor %). It is normal for it to stay at 2.8 for a while because when Windows starts it does many different things for the first few minutes, such as check for Windows updates, start different services, etc.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Hari13
    Options
    Do me favor and take a screen shot of the processes you have running at boot (the ones using most processor %). It is normal for it to stay at 2.8 for a while because when Windows starts it does many different things for the first few minutes, such as check for Windows updates, start different services, etc.

Skelo
    Here's the link. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1oZBifVvrkooT8IAcwcSWIn1andRzDllt. During start up nothing much runs except the System processes.
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I honestly do not really know. Maybe try going through and installing all the drivers for your laptop. There is a TurboBoost driver, maybe it will help?

And just to be sure, go in your power Settings and see what the Minimum Processor State is set at. It should be at 5%.

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss
  • Hari13
    Options

Skelo
    I'll try that. By the way, the battery life has dropped from a respectable 5 hour life to abysmal 2.5 to 3 hour life. Even in balanced mode.
  • Skelomorph
    Options
    Battery life is dependent on usage as well as the settings.

Anyways, on my list post, what fixed it for you? I am truly curious lol. I may need to do it myself. 

Skelo

- Dr. Seuss