is there a driver for aspire 3630 vga adapter after upgrade to win 7

Options
higgsy2
higgsy2 Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have upgraded my aspire 3630 laptop to win 7 and when a monitor is plugged into the vga socket it is not detected is there another driver for this machines vga adapter as the acer website will only give me the xp driver

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,557 Trailblazer
    Options

First, make sure the external monitor is turned on with the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

Have tried fn +f5-f6 have tried them all the monitor works when plugged into my little isus notebook so the monitor and cable are fine I need a win 7 driver for the vga adapter and acer support will not help me because I bought the laptop in Tenerife

• JackE
    Options

OK. Let's try this.

Go to http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers. Enter Aspire 3630. Download the WinXP VGA driver zip file. Unzip the file. Then right click on the SETUP.EXE installation file. Click "properties". Click "compatibility". Check the box to run the SETUP.EXE installation file in WinXP compatibility mode. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

Hi not getting an option of compatibility when I right click on the setup exe inst file

• JackE
    Options

Let's try it again.

First, right click on SETUP.EXE.

Near the bottom of the box click 'properties'

Near the top of the next box click 'compatibility'

Then check the box for WinXP SP3 compatibility mode

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

Sorry but there is not a compatibility option to click on

• JackE
    Options

What happens when you click on "properties". Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

I get the properties box with general/sharing/prev vers/customise sub boxes to go into at the top theres an advanced box to tick lower down but thats only for folders

• JackE
    Options

>>>I have upgraded my aspire 3630 laptop to win 7>>>

OK. Back to the beginning. How did you do this Win7 upgrade? Has it been activated? Have any Win7 updates been applied? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

I did the upgrade and its been activated and the updates ( about 200 ) of them have been installed are you saying I should be getting  an option of compatibility

• JackE
    Options

Yes unless perhaps it's Win7 starter or Win7 32-bit version. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

Try this. Click the start button and search "compatibility". Does any thing regarding compatibility pop up? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

It is win7 home adition 32 bit when I try to install I get a message use DLL failed couldnt load SiSBase dll and UseDLLfailed Couldnt load SiSParse.dll

• higgsy2
    Options

Yes I get a README file for the sis agp drver I managed to install from the package that came with the avg adapter driver but I dont think it has installed properly

• JackE
    Options

>>>Yes I get a README file >>>

Just to be clear, do you only get a README file when you enter "compatibility" in the start button's search field? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

yes

• JackE
    Options

>>> I managed to install from the package that came with the avg adapter driver >>>

Open Device Manager. What device driver issues, if any, are detected. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

none but I have the standard vga adapter installed

• JackE
    Options

Yes, that's the plain-vanilla VGA flavor that Win7 installs.  Google "SiSM661MX" "windows 7" with the quotes. On the microsoft technet site one contributor has the workaround for the incompatibility of the WinXP video installer under Win7. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• higgsy2
    Options

Thanks but have tried that and that will not install on this machine thanks very much for trying to help but I can't understand why acer never updated there drivers when win 7 came out