Acer Aspire 7551G upgrade

Options
SirCP
SirCP Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

hi, ive onwed a Aspire 7551g for a good 7 years or so and i opend up the laptop cause it was overheating.

Specs are :

AMD Phenom II X4 N970

1x2GB DDR3 PC10600S 1333hz

1X4GB DDR3 PC10600S 1333hz

750GB Scorpio Blue

Question is, can i upgrade to 2 X 8GB of ram and if yes which RAM is best?

and can i install a SSD drive with the Scorpio drive together?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,561 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>> i opend up the laptop >>>

>>>is my only option is to use the DVD-R slot >>>

If you don't see the 2nd HDD bay on the mainboard, then yes the caddy is the only option if you want a 2nd internal SSD/HDD. However, simply replacing the HDD with an SSD would likely yield the most noticeable performance improvement of any of the upgrades you were considering.

If it was my machine, I'd leave the DVD alone. Then clone the HDD on an SSD using an inexpensive USB HDD adapter cable. And simply replace the HDD with the SSD. This way, I can always access the old HDD using the same USB adapter if necessary. And see how I like the SSD performance before spending any more money on other upgrades.

Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Go to crucial dot com. Download their upgrade scanner for compatible RAM and SSD upgrades to your system. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SirCP
    Options

laptop is open and in pieces on my desk, any other options?

• JackE
    Options

Advertised maxRAM is 2x4GB DDR3L-1600. The BIOS ***might*** recognize and use 2x8GB but it's not guaranteed. A second internal HDD or SSD is possible with a caddy. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SirCP
    Options

Will i see a big improvement from PC3-10600S at 1333hz to PC3-12600 at 1600hz with the same 6GB of ram,

and how do i know if it will accept 2X8GB PC3-12600

Bios as the latest revision

Thanks for the fast response

• JackE
    Options

>>>how do i know if it will accept 2X8GB PC3-12600>>>

The same way I did on my machine. I bought two modules on faith. And the BIOS accepted them! Double the advertised max. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• SirCP
    Options

Question about the 2nd hd SSD, is my only option is to use the DVD-R slot and cancel the dvd out or can i put it in the laptop?

im still reading on the subject!

Thanks

PS: i bought the ram 2X8gb PC3L 12800S, hope it works

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

>>> i opend up the laptop >>>

>>>is my only option is to use the DVD-R slot >>>

If you don't see the 2nd HDD bay on the mainboard, then yes the caddy is the only option if you want a 2nd internal SSD/HDD. However, simply replacing the HDD with an SSD would likely yield the most noticeable performance improvement of any of the upgrades you were considering.

If it was my machine, I'd leave the DVD alone. Then clone the HDD on an SSD using an inexpensive USB HDD adapter cable. And simply replace the HDD with the SSD. This way, I can always access the old HDD using the same USB adapter if necessary. And see how I like the SSD performance before spending any more money on other upgrades.

Jack E/NJ      

Jack E/NJ

• SirCP
    Options

16g of ram works just fine! got a 256G Intel SSD in i to but i dont have a 2 tray laptop, so only SSD is in for the moment, but i saw a MSATA connector on motherboard (i think Smiley Tongue) so in searching for a drive to see if it woks. in French but its just to show

7551-SSD-16G.PNG

Thanks for the help and knowledge !

SirCP

• JackE
    Options

Good for you! How do you like the SSD? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SirCP
    Options

for that laptop its night and day, but i was having overheating problem too, so i pulled the fan out cleanned it, put new thermal grease from Thermaltake the TG-7 one and now its coooool has it can be. i even installed AMD overdrive and did an hour stability test and it stayed higher then thermal threshold.

went from a minute and a half boot time to about 9 seconds, Gotta love SSD with lots of ram!

Thanks again !!

• JackE
    Options

Carry on! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MrHonk
    MrHonk Member Posts: 7 New User
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hello, I see that you have talked about upgrading the Aspire 7551G with a second hard drive / SDD instead of the DVD drive.
    I did it, and I only get boot issues when both drives are active. On the POST screen, both drives (Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500 GB as drive 0: and WDC 500 GB as drive 1: ) appear, but when loading Windows, there is only one prompt in the upper left corner of the screen. Sometimes, after invoking the BIOS and exiting to F10, Windows 7 starts, but when I shut down and restart the computer, the problem with the prompt occurs again.

If I start the computer with just one drive, there are no problems at all.

The BIOS version of my 7551G is V1.18, and there are 2x2 GB of RAM installed.

Did someone have the same problem and know a solution for it?
  • JackE
    Options
    @MrHonk >>>but when I shut down and restart the computer, the problem with the prompt occurs again.>>>If I start the computer with just one drive, there are no problems at all.>>>

I'm gonna guess your BIO's coin cell probably needs to be replaced. After shutdown, It's not maintaining charge on the chip very well and the BIOS defaults to the original configuration until you enter the BIOS setup again to refresh its memory. Shutdown again and the new configuration is forgotten. If you shutdown and start up again quickly enough, it might remember it with a weak coin cell. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MrHonk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi and thanks for your quick reply.

The BIOS cell was replaced two days ago (it was completely empty). Time and date always had to be set manually by each start.
    In the BIOS itself, the SATA mode is also set to AHCI. Unfortunately, the BIOS settings are very limited and i don't know what else I could do.

Everytime I boot with only one drive, everything works fine. And the fact, that Windows sometimes starts normally shows me, that it has to be a BIOS issue, right?
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>The BIOS cell was replaced two days ago>>>

Hope you got a good cell and contacts were cleaned up. :o  What HDD mode (IDE or AHCI) does the BIOS Information tab show when each drive is separately installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MrHonk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It is a Varta cell, so quality should be okay. I didn't cleaned the contacts, but time and date are now correct everytime I power on the computer.

As you can see, there is no HDD mode shown at the BIOS Information tab.

Could it be that the caddy is the problem? It is a standard caddy (origin China) sold by CSL Computer GmbH in Germany.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>As you can see, there is no HDD mode shown at the BIOS Information tab.>>>

I see it a bit differently. :) The caddy could still be the problem but I suspect the IDE mode, if real, could be more relevant.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MrHonk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    By starting the computer with both drives inside, the second drive is recognized as ATAPI Model ...

The computer started correctly on the first boot, on the second boot it won't start the OS, but on the third boot it started correctly again ... argh ...
  • MrHonk
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Okay, after a few reboots, I could see a pattern. When the computer is turned on, the BIOS sometimes takes 4-5 seconds to initialize, in which case the computer will boot properly.

If the computer does not boot properly, the BIOS initialization takes less than a second.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Check if power setting is in fast boot mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ