Chromebook help

Options
Crimson1Cutlery
Crimson1Cutlery Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hey guys, I've looked everywhere for help but I haven't been able to find a suitable place.

I recently purchased an Acer Chromebook 11, and as I tried to download some vrius protection I realised that I needed to select it for a specific OS. I searched for a good while but I couldn't find any information on this problem. I do hope that somebody here can help. So here is my official question.

Am I able to download OS specific products, and is Chrome OS compatable with downloads from any other OS (example: Mac) ?

Thanks in advance for your answer !

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Chrome OS, although it has close roots to Android, is pretty much it's own thing. Since it's basically just a browser, without all the other features that a full OS has, it's pretty hard to infect. It's possible for a funky website to tweak up your display, but just rebooting gets you back to normal until you go to that site again. Smiley Happy

Some versions of the Chromebooks are testing running the Android Play Store in Chrome but it's not quite mainstream. When that's up fully you'll be able to install many of the Android apps as well as the Chrome apps you have now.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Chrome OS, although it has close roots to Android, is pretty much it's own thing. Since it's basically just a browser, without all the other features that a full OS has, it's pretty hard to infect. It's possible for a funky website to tweak up your display, but just rebooting gets you back to normal until you go to that site again. Smiley Happy

Some versions of the Chromebooks are testing running the Android Play Store in Chrome but it's not quite mainstream. When that's up fully you'll be able to install many of the Android apps as well as the Chrome apps you have now.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.