Fuzzy gray screen after sleep on my aspire R14 laptop

baemax
baemax Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Heya guys,

My aspire r14 was wokrking just fine in the days and nights before but then after waking it up from sleep mode, the screen just came up with this fuzzy gray screen. I rebooted and it came up just fine. I switched to tablet mode and it works normally. It only does the gray screen when it goes to sleep mode. Please help! My exams are 2 weeks away!

Answers

• Whalensdad
    Whalensdad Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

The issue seems to be the driver. I just encountered the same problem and looked at windows update. Sure enough there was an Intel Display Driver installed yesterday (when my problems started). I went into device manager and rolled back the display driver and the problem has gone away.

• baemax

Where can I roll back the driver? What is the label in Device manager?

• AliGator8
    AliGator8 Member Posts: 2 New User

You can get to Device Manager by right-clicking on the Windows icon on your Start Bar. The Device Manager will populate, click on Display Adapters- a twistie will open - Double click on Intel HD Graphics 520 - The Properties will open - click on Driver (second tab) - Select Rollback Driver. It will ask why you are rolling back your driver, I selected that my computer wasn't working as before.

I too got the crazy grey screen on my Aspire R14. I seriously thought something more was wrong with my computer, I thought the worst. Simple fix and I am glad I don't have to take it in for repairs! 

Hope this works for you! -Alexandra

• baemax

Problem is, I don't have the option to rollback my display driver. I think it's because I factory reset my laptop yesterday.

Any suggestions?

• AliGator8
    AliGator8 Member Posts: 2 New User

Ehhh.... I am not 100% on this. Does it give you the option to update the driver? I'm going out on a limb here - but maybe update and go back and roll back the driver?

Before I found out about the rollback I went into my power settings and changed what my computer did when the lid was shut - I selected hibernate and did not get the screen when waking from the hibernate option. This may be an option until Intel fixes it.

• Strongbad
    Strongbad Member Posts: 1 New User

Confirmed happening with 4 laptops over the weekend and continuing on. Checked drivers and they were not updated over weekend, additionally no windows updates were pushed out. Cannot tell what has changed. All laptops on windows 10. 

I tried updating to the latest Intel drivers and while during the installation it brought the laptop screen back to normal functionality. Sleeping the laptop and waking it again results in a gray striped screen. 

Remotely accessing the laptop through a remote support tool does not show the gray screen like the user see's locally, meaning windows 10 is drawing the graphics properly to the framebuffer and the driver is not sending the correct graphics to the LCD. Can't seem to find information elsewhere about this. 

• lava890
    lava890 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

I'm having the same problem with my acer R since this past weekend.

• Joey_D
    Joey_D Member Posts: 1 New User

Having the same problems since late last week.  Upon coming back from sleep it often has a grey pixellated screen and I have to do a hard reset, which temporarily fixes it.  If anyone finds a solution please post.

• lava890
    lava890 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

From another thread, the problem is only coming back from sleep, not from hibernate. So change your power settings so when you close the lid, it hibernates. If you find that your computer went to sleep, and you wake it and see the gray screen, just close the lid to make it hibernate. When you open it back up, it should work. This is a temporary solution.
  • kvnchrlplus6
    kvnchrlplus6 Member Posts: 1 New User

I took these steps to get mine working again for the time being, got it off of the Acer Community posts,

I went into Control Panel \ Hardware and Sound \ Power Options \ Edit Plan Settings ...

Then clicked the blue link at the bottom called change advanced power settings....

Open the "Power buttons and lid" menu > open "Lid close action" ....

On battery: select "Hibernate"

Plugged in: select "Hibernate"

Then close the lid ....

Now open the lid and you will notice the screen is black..

now press (don't hold) the power button and the windows log in screen will come up.

• twotorties
    twotorties Member Posts: 1 New User

Mine started a couple of weeks ago. I just tried the "roll back driver" option noted previously and it fixed mine. 

• samsara
    samsara Member Posts: 1 New User
    I tried AliGator8's suggestion, but when I got to the properties box, the "select rollback driver" option was grayed out.
  • brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,104 Trailblazer
    edited November 2017
    samsara said:
    I tried AliGator8's suggestion, but when I got to the properties box, the "select rollback driver" option was grayed out.

Hi,
    Go to Acer support site and download the VGA driver for your model, then go to Device manager, uninstall the current driver, do not reboot, install the downloaded driver, you also need to stop Windows updating your drivers, go to start and type " Device installation settings", select "No" radio button in the next window.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/drivers
  • ChrisAcer
    ChrisAcer Member Posts: 1 New User
    This worked for me. Thank you. 

AliGator8 said:

You can get to Device Manager by right-clicking on the Windows icon on your Start Bar. The Device Manager will populate, click on Display Adapters- a twistie will open - Double click on Intel HD Graphics 520 - The Properties will open - click on Driver (second tab) - Select Rollback Driver. It will ask why you are rolling back your driver, I selected that my computer wasn't working as before.

I too got the crazy grey screen on my Aspire R14. I seriously thought something more was wrong with my computer, I thought the worst. Simple fix and I am glad I don't have to take it in for repairs! 

Hope this works for you! -Alexandra

• JenkyJenk
    JenkyJenk Member Posts: 1 New User
    I had two Acer R14 laptops. They both have this display issue. Just found a new bios update that seems to describe this issue. I just installed it so don't know if it is a permanent fix. Went to product support page entered my serial number and this is the Model and Bios Version for my computer.

Aspire R5-471T
    Fixes abnormal display issue if system resumes from Sleep mode
    Bios Version 1.12 dated 2017/11/13

• TinaChaney
    TinaChaney Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Rolling back the driver worked for me too!
  • SharodtheITguy
    SharodtheITguy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I was able to find an Acer endorsed solution!!!
    Acer has a BIOS update from November of 2017
    follow this link and click on the bios option
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/6397?b=1&pn=NX.G7WAA.008
  • Reller
    Reller Member Posts: 4 New User
    Greyed out Rollback button. BIOS detected, fully updated, still having problem. Hibernate doesn't help either.
    Anyone else?