Spin 5 how to keep keyboard backlight on?

eli_singer
eli_singer Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2018 in Swift and Spin Series

Just bought the Spin 5 and the keboard backlight turns off after a minute or so.

Couldn't find any setting to control that and it is driving me crazy...

How do i keep it on?

Eli

Answers

• Hi,

I don't think you can do that as it's meant to be like that to save power,however, another member found a solution but it doesn't work for me, please read more about it here:http://community.acer.com/t5/Swift-Spin-S-and-R-Series/Acer-swift-3-Change-keyboard-backlight-timer/m-p/475675

• eli_singer
    I've already got to that thread, didn't help.
    It's not my first laptop and keeping the backlight on is a basic function...
  • awong2635
    awong2635 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Just bought one Spin 5 and saw the backlit function turned off automatically. Stumbled into Fn-F10 (turn on backlit) and Fn-F9 (turn off backlit) functions. Give them a try.
  • RalfMe
    RalfMe Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Didn't worked for me neither, would love to see the feature to keep backlite permanently on. 
  • macha
    macha Member Posts: 1 New User
     <Fn> + F10 turns the backlight on.
  • Aldo7774
    Aldo7774 Member Posts: 1 New User

Just bought the Spin 5 and the keboard backlight turns off after a minute or so.

Couldn't find any setting to control that and it is driving me crazy...

How do i keep it on?

Eli

Just Ctrl + F8 to put on and off light LED lights in you Keyboard.

• eli_singer
    Ctrl + F8 does turn the light on and off but when it's on, it doesn't stay on so no go there.
    Fn + F10 does nothing.

Any other ideas? This is really bugging me.
  • Sc00bydu
    Sc00bydu Member Posts: 1 New User
    THEN WHAT'S THE POINT IN HAVING A LIGHTED KEYBOARD IF IT DOESN'T WORK!? UGH!!!!
  • carlupq
    carlupq Member Posts: 1 New User
    There is a bios setting for "keyboard lighting timeout" which is set to ENABLED by default. Set it to DISABLED.
    You get into the bios settings on Acer Spin 5 by rebooting, and when the ACER logo appears press and hold the F2 key. The bios setting is on the second menu (press the right arrow key) about midway down the list (press the down arrow) - hit ENTER on it to change the setting.
  • ronanski
    ronanski Member Posts: 29 Troubleshooter
    Have the same issue. This is ridiculous if it is intentional. You can always turn it off if you want to save power but you put it on for a reason. It should stay on but mine doesn't even last a minute, it's like 20 seconds! Pressing ctrl doesn't do anything different and fn f9 & fn f10 do nothing. Don't really understand the bios thing, I don't want to mess around too much with the workings of the computer, it should be a simple settings change surely?? Anyone got any further with this?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    The default behavior is to turn the back light on when you press a key and leave it on while you are still typing, then to turn it off a short while after you are done typing. The BIOS setting disables the 'turn it off' mode so the back light stays on all the time, but that detracts from your battery life.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • amcareem
    amcareem Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Tap Ctrl+F8 to see.
    Or else you many find another backlit keyboard function on your laptop.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi ronanski,

I suggest you to create a new post to get a better response mention the unit full model name in the post.
  • eli_singer
    carlupq said:
    There is a bios setting for "keyboard lighting timeout" which is set to ENABLED by default. Set it to DISABLED.
    You get into the bios settings on Acer Spin 5 by rebooting, and when the ACER logo appears press and hold the F2 key. The bios setting is on the second menu (press the right arrow key) about midway down the list (press the down arrow) - hit ENTER on it to change the setting.
    BIOS doesn't have this setting. Tried updating BIOS to latest, still it doesn't exist.
  • billsey
    On some BIOSes it's not available, on others it's only available if you go into an advanced mode. Use a Ctrl-S in the BIOS to see if you have an advanced mode with the option to change keyboard backlight behavior.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lauren2022
    Lauren2022 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Changing the BIOS setting works perfectly.  I have complete control when I turn the backlit keyboard on and off with no timers.   No more automatic turn off when I'm thinking inbetween typing.   I've got the new spin 5 and the option is in the main bios menu now.   Here's a screenshot for those unsure.  When you've changed it, press the button for 'save and exit'.   You can always change it back again if you don't like the bios setting.  (Similarly in BIOS you can switch the F-number buttons to be the proper F-number buttons without pressing Fn; which does then mean that all the shortcuts like volume & brightness up/down require you to press press Fn - which for a long term user of windows like me is preferrable)    
  • billsey
    The original post was for the 2017 model of the Spin 5, so very much different than the current stuff.
  • varunaX
    varunaX Member Posts: 1 New User
    i can confirm the bios trick works for the spin 3 as well

i can confirm that the bios trick works for the 2022 version of the Spin 3