Liquid Zest T06 - constant Notification Message re the SD card I have mounted (annoying behavior)

johncanuck
johncanuck Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just got the phone and inserted a LEXAR SD card.

Now I constantly see a small indicator icon in the upper left corner showing an SD card and

I'm always seeing a Notification Message that tells me:

"LEXAR SD card

For transferring photos and media

EXPLORE               EJECT"

All it lets me do is either EXPLORE the SD card ... or EJECT it, in which case I can't use it for storage.

Is there a way for me to tell the phone to stop showing me this Notification Message, because all it's doing is continuously telling me something I know and just cluttering up my Notification screen.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

as far as i know, Acer doesn't have a "sync" app but you can connect your phone as an external storage (like USB flash drive) and move/copy files using the USB cable.

about formatting the SD, if it's already FAT32 formatted, that's enough, is the correct format.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly

check under settings/storage

if you can set the SD card as the default storage

• johncanuck

Tinkerer

Thanks IronFly. I can change the settings/storage to have the ACER use the SD card for default storage.

• Note: I'm still a newbie on this phone and I'm still trying to understand the different pieces of the ACER environment. The area I'm focussing on now, is where I can store whatever photos, videos, additional apps etc. that I want on the ACER … hence the SD card. If I set it so the ACER can use the SD card's storage as an extension to its own more limited internal storage, it looks like it makes me format the SD card to it's own specs, so that it can control and use the space .. which I can understand.

The wrinkle that I've added, is that the SD card I've currently installed in the ACER, is one that I took out of my previous phone (an HTC) which already has a bunch of data (photos, videos, apps etc.) that I had accumulated on my previous HTC. So I don't really have the option of formatting this SD card for ACER's dedicated use ... unless I first save all it's data to some other storage area or just go and buy a new SD card and allow ACER to format it and use it as a fresh / new SD card.

Thinking this through as I am now, I guess I'm learning that for me (mileage might vary for other people), the best option is going to be to get a new/empty SD card that I'll let ACER manage totally for anything I want to store on it (whether apps, photos, videos etc. etc.)

So assuming I give my ACER a fresh new SD card and format it for ACER's dedicated use, I'm guessing the "annoying" Notification Message re my SD card will stop.

All the above said … my next question (= in my trying to understand the ACER environment) is

Q: does ACER have a WINDOWS PC based app, that lets me manage the ACER's "storage" when I attach the ACER to my PC via USB? TIA.

(My HTC phone had something called HTC Sync Manager, but I haven’t gotten far enough in my learning of the ACER environment to know if there's an equivalent and what it's called).

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

as far as i know, Acer doesn't have a "sync" app but you can connect your phone as an external storage (like USB flash drive) and move/copy files using the USB cable.

about formatting the SD, if it's already FAT32 formatted, that's enough, is the correct format.

• johncanuck

Tinkerer

Thanks IronFly. As you've said, I'm able to attach the phone via USB and "explore" (copy, transfer, etc) the files on my ACER's current SD card.

To be extra safe (with the files on my current SD card), I going to opt for getting a new SD card and letting ACER fomat it the way it wants (sounds like it's just FAT32 ... which my current card from my old HTC phone likely is as well).

I'll keep looking to see if ACER has a PC based "sync" program, but it sounds like there probably isn't one.

(I may need to look at learning how to use Google's device "sync-ing" capabilities, but I'd prefer to have a PC based solution that I'd have more control over).

Thanks for your help.   

• johncanuck

Tinkerer

Side Note / Update to my previous comment.

I found this link on the web https://liliputing.com/2015/10/android-6-0-can-treat-sd-cards-as-internal-storage-at-a-cost.html (probably many different links with the same or similar info) ... but it starts to explain to me in more technical terms how I should understand what I can or cannot do, when I decide to hand over the control of "my" SD card to ANDROID version 'Marshmallo 6' + ACER's "Phone Storage" (as opposed to ACER's "Portable Storage") setup definitions ... see Settings -> Storage & USB. It gets pretty technical for a novice / less technically literate user of the phone, but suffice it to say, I think the owner of the phone should be aware of the kinds of distinctions / points made in this link (wade thru the comments as well) and decide what makes the most sense to them.

• johncanuck

Tinkerer

Side note / Update #2

I found this link to what ACER calls the ACER "Build Your Own Cloud" (BYOC) environment ( http://home.cloud.acer.com/intro/ ) and apps they have, that they refer to generally as "abApps" (where "abApps" is kind of a generic way to name the apps that can deal with specific file types or functions in the aCER bYOC environment of ACER devices you might have.

I plan to look into this more closely, because it kind of hints at the kind of functionality I'm looking for ... and so its a possible reason I might want to turn over "control" of the SD card I use on my ACER phone to ACER to use as part of it's extended "Phone Storage" ... rather than my own "Portable Storage".  Man Happy