Helios 300 G3-572 HDMI

Options
rootnix
rootnix Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi Everyone, I just got the Helios 300 i7 1050ti model i have an awesome gaming monitor ASUS VG248QE 144Hz which I tried connecting to via HDMI, how to select which card to use with the monitor ? or how to find out which graphics card is the monitor using ? I would like to use my nvidia card to play on this monitor can anyone help me with what to do ? I cant find the settings anywhere.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Go to nvidia control panel in 3d setting from preferred graphics processor choose high performance nvidia.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• rootnix
    Options

that is already set on my game GTA V but i wanted to know how to switch the HDMI port to use only nvidia and not the low power intel card for higher Hz 

• ven98
    Options
    There is an option in BIOS to disable integrated graphics but it is locked by Acer on always enabled. Connecting to HDMI port is the same as when using the laptop's display, both graphics are enabled and you cannot have the nvidia gpu enabled only as far as I know.

Why don't you set Nvidia as preferred GPU from global 3d settings. This way I think your system will constantly work with the dedicated GPU.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• rootnix
    Options

So this laptop does not support gsync and has the hdmi port connected to intel unlike the helios 300 nvidia 1060 version ?  Smiley IndifferentSmiley Sad

• ven98
    Options
    You say that when connected to HDMI you can set nvidia as preferred GPU. Have you tried playing a game on the external monitor? The laptop should support both Nvidia and Intel graphics via HDMI. You just have to set nvidia as preferred GPU from Nvidia Control Panel.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

That is weird when I connect mine to HDMI it goes strictly to the NVIDIA card and won't use integrated at all, however I am not using that exact same monitor. One way you can tell what is using your NVIDIA card is by enabling the system tray icon, it will be black when not in use and light up in color when it is (the tray icon will also tell you what programs are using your card). To enable, right click on your desktop and go to NVIDIA control panel, at the top of the nvidia control panel look for the tab "desktop" click on it and make sure "Display GPU activity Icon in notification area" has a check next to it.

• ven98
    Options
    Does the helios support gsync for external monitor?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Options

Yep the laptop doesn't have it itself but if the monitor has g-sync it should work.

• ven98
    Options
    Then it should connect straight with the dedicated graphics.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Options

Yep not really sure what's going on, maybe the monitor is only using the dedicated and it isn't apparent.

• ven98
    Options
    Anyway back to the question the easiest way to check whether it is running on the nvidia is to launch a game and see the fps.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Options

Oh I was talking about him haha we were on different topics. He wants to know if it's running on nvidia outside of the game though if I'm understanding correctly.

• rootnix
    Options

I am just trying to figure out if the HDMI port itself is connected to the 1050ti or the intel 630 and if it is intel 630 can the hdmi port be switched to using the Nvidia 1050ti because after reading some more online post it seems that with optimus laptops hdmi is connected to the intel and not nvidia

• ven98
    Options
    It is connected to the nvidia because you have gsync support for external monitors. How are your games running when connected to the monitor? If they are running as expected from gtx1050ti then hdmi is connected to the gtx1050ti. You can also run a benchmark to determine with what gpu you are running.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• xfloggingkylex
    xfloggingkylex Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Are you sure about that?  According to Nvidia G Sync only works over DisplayPort.

• assassin1044
    assassin1044 Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

when i connect it to my tv - i donno wt gpu it uses but in another laptop which has dedicated gpu too- displays intel audio is sound manager

for helios - it's showing as nvidia audio....i'm just guessing- i repeat, i'm guessing it uses nvidia gpu

P.S. my system also has 1050ti