Predator 21x battery drain during game when plug in

Options
halu81
halu81 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Just bought one 21x in Germany, lucky me that found it available in SATURN. 

After using for one week, I've found the battery went from 100% to 95% when I'm playing TOMB RAIDER for about 45-60mins. I've done some research that Predator 15 or 17 has the feature called energy boost which using the battery for the complete performance when the battery is more than 40%. 

My question is if my 21X has same feature which means that's not fault of my brand new laptop, or I should have some concern about the quality built? 

Could anybody help me on this? Thanks. 

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

halu81 wrote:

Hi, thanks for your idea, I mostly agree with you and I should not worry too much about this feature. 

I'm just wondering if I can find any offical explaination or documents/info from ACER to provide us clearer information about this feature. Like MSI, they offcially announced their "HYBIRD POWER" feature on their website. Thus we can know exactly how it works. 

You're welcome. And I agree unfortunately Acer is pretty mum with information sometimes, I'll do some digging and see if I can find anything on this.

Edit: Ok it seems to be pretty par for the course for gaming laptops, I was able to find this (http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-17-G9-971-drains-battery-whilst-gaming-on-power/m-p/407916/highlight/true#M32) also so it seems to be intentional. When going full bore your laptop pulls extra juice from the battery, an unlocked processor and SLI 1080's must suck the power down.

Answers

• Flx
    Options

It only goes to 95% no less? I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

• halu81
    Options

Thanks for your reply.

Once went down to 94%, so far no chance to test longer.

• halu81
    Options

My concern is if it is the fault of the laptop or the feature of the design, as you can understand, always worry this or that during the first month.

• Flx
    Options

I believe it to be part of the design. Other folks here have mentioned similar things with other laptops (energy boost as you mentioned), while I haven't heard of it happening on 21x (it may just be because not many people have it yet) if it doesn't affect your performance I wouldn't worry about it. I can understand your concern though it is quite a beastly and costly laptop. You wouldn't be doing much with that thing solely on the battery anyway so don't worry about wearing the battery out.

What you can do is update your drivers and BIOS from here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Updating the BIOS may alleviate the issue but if you've already updated then it's a moot point.

• halu81
    Options

Hi, thanks for your idea, I mostly agree with you and I should not worry too much about this feature. 

I'm just wondering if I can find any offical explaination or documents/info from ACER to provide us clearer information about this feature. Like MSI, they offcially announced their "HYBIRD POWER" feature on their website. Thus we can know exactly how it works. 

• Flx
    Answer ✓
    Options

halu81 wrote:

You're welcome. And I agree unfortunately Acer is pretty mum with information sometimes, I'll do some digging and see if I can find anything on this.

Edit: Ok it seems to be pretty par for the course for gaming laptops, I was able to find this (http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/Predator-17-G9-971-drains-battery-whilst-gaming-on-power/m-p/407916/highlight/true#M32) also so it seems to be intentional. When going full bore your laptop pulls extra juice from the battery, an unlocked processor and SLI 1080's must suck the power down.

• halu81
    Options

Hi, really appreciate your help, I've seen the thread you attached link and is this guy officially representing ACER?

Because I have two 330W (totally 660W) power brick, I'm quite supprise that is still not enough for the 7820HK + dual 1080......monster.

• Flx
    Options

halu81 wrote:

Hi, really appreciate your help, I've seen the thread you attached link and is this guy officially representing ACER?

Because I have two 330W (totally 660W) power brick, I'm quite supprise that is still not enough for the 7820HK + dual 1080......monster.

You're welcome! Yes that person is from Acer, also it seems not only Acer gaming laptops do this other brands have also employed this method. I'll keep researching this and if anything ground breaking comes up i'll let you know, it is a very interesting subject.