Intel turbo boost.....

Options
Jithin0801
Jithin0801 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Guys I a using predatr helos 300 and when i see the spec of the laptop using intel extreme tuning utility it shows the turbo boost is disabled,but the processor kaby lake supports intel turbo boost and all the some of the functions cannot be changed like active processors etc please anyone help....

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Download HWiNFO and send a screenshot of the info about the CPU. Have you seen what frequency the CPU reaches under load?

A lot of functions, except voltage and some others are greyed out, because your CPU is locked meaning it can't be overclocked.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Jithin0801
    Options
  • ven98
    Options
    Yes turbo boost is on your CPU is working at the frequency it is supposed to according to HWINFO. 3.8GHz max frequency for 1 core and 3.4GHz max frequency for 4 cores. You can run Sensors in HWINFO and also play a game for 1 minute and see the frequency that your CPU actually reaches.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Jithin0801
    Options

Check out the screenshot of intels utility app its showing turbo boost disabled and cores functons greyed out how to make that work

• ven98
    Options
    Your CPU's base clock is 2.8GHz and without turbo boost it wouldn't go up to 3.8GHz. The multipliers are greyed out, because your CPU is locked. It cannot be overclocked.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Jithin0801
    Options

But when i play a game the clock speed is 3.8ghz is it automatically overclocked??

• ven98
    Options
    Yes
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

That picture is not normal, on my XTU it clearly shows Turbo boost enabled even though it's greyed out. On yours it's greyed out, as well as on the side panel it says turbo boost disabled and shows no max turbo clock like mine. Are you 100% sure it's boosting itself while you're in games?

Example: See how on the side it says ITBT= Enable and it shows the max boost speed? Yours looks different than that. Have you messed with any of the settings in your power profiles or anything? Try playing a game and see what your max frequency goes to, remember 3.8 is the max it can go on a single core so you might see from 3.4-3.8 depending on how many cores are being used. Also have you updated your machine at all from Acers site? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Capture - Copy.PNG

• aks895
    aks895 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

The processor is designed to go till 3.8ghz max turbo boost freq, but i have never seen it go beyond 3.4ghz.

Even while running the stress test in intel xtu it goes till 3.4ghz.

Is it only with me or is it same with everyone???

• Flx
    Options

aks895 wrote:

The processor is designed to go till 3.8ghz max turbo boost freq, but i have never seen it go beyond 3.4ghz.

Even while running the stress test in intel xtu it goes till 3.4ghz.

Is it only with me or is it same with everyone???

Yea that is how it is designed, single core can go up to 3.8, 2 cores is 3.6, 3 cores is 3.5, 4 cores is 3.4

• Jithin0801
    Options

Well, I installed this XTU the day when I bought this laptop from that day it is showing that it is disabled......

In the screenshot checkout the "recent maximum" its 3.65ghz this is possible only if turbo boost enabled....but disabled according toXTU

And could u say what r the drivers that i should update? 

Flx wrote:

That picture is not normal, on my XTU it clearly shows Turbo boost enabled even though it's greyed out. On yours it's greyed out, as well as on the side panel it says turbo boost disabled and shows no max turbo clock like mine. Are you 100% sure it's boosting itself while you're in games?

Example: See how on the side it says ITBT= Enable and it shows the max boost speed? Yours looks different than that. Have you messed with any of the settings in your power profiles or anything? Try playing a game and see what your max frequency goes to, remember 3.8 is the max it can go on a single core so you might see from 3.4-3.8 depending on how many cores are being used. Also have you updated your machine at all from Acers site? https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Capture - Copy.PNG

turbo_LI.jpg

• Jithin0801
    Options

Well, I installed this XTU the day when I bought this laptop from that day it is showing that it is disabled......

In the screenshot checkout the "recent maximum" its 3.65ghz this is possible only if turbo boost enabled....but disabled according toXTU

And could u say what r the drivers that i should update? 

Flx wrote:

Capture - Copy.PNG

turbo_LI.jpg

• Flx
    Options

Ok that is very odd, so you're hitting 2 core turbo boost according to that picture. I would update under the turbo boost driver under 'drivers' tab from the acer site. What model number is your helios 300?

• Jithin0801
    Options

G3-571 is my model number,whether I should update the turbo boost driver(around 77mb) from the acers website?

• Flx
    Options

Yes exactly

• Jithin0801
    Options

OK guys thanks for your help I got intel turbo boost working after updating windows 10 to the latest creators update anyhow thanks for your help............

• Flx
    Options

Nice glad you got it sorted out

• Jithin0801
    Options

I was wrong it showed turb boost technology was enabled but after a restart it again changed to "disable" I tried installing the turbo boost driver but still the same :-(

• ven98
    Options
    You don't need this turbo boost to be enabled. Does your CPU reach 3.8GHz on one core(the advertised frequency). Yes it does. So why do you keep looking for this turbo boost thing? The maximum frequency for this CPU i7-7700HQ is 3.8ghz for 1 core, 3.6ghz for 2 cores and 3.4ghz for 4 cores. You can't change that with turbo boost enabled from XTU or disabled from XTU, the multiplier will still be at x0, so it won't increase your frequency at all. Your CPU is locked, meaning you can't overclock(increase or decrease the frequency and change the multipliers). If your CPU reaches 3.4GHz in gaming then that is fine as this is the maximum frequency of this CPU for 4 cores and all 4 cores are used mostly on heavy tasks like gaming, which are designed to use all 4 cores. Please look up your CPU in Intel's website or somewhere else and see its specification.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Nashkiller
    Nashkiller Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    Hey guys i have an Acer Aspire V3-575G, and it says I have 2.5Ghz and with turbo boost goes to 3.1Ghz but when I see it on task manager it never goes beyond 2.9 and when I start a game (like pubg) the cpu starts to go to1.8 then 2.9 and always changing and I get extremely low fps.... Any advise for me?