Acer V15 Nitro VN7-591G-72K6 laptop w/: GTX860M and external monitor higher than 1080 resolution

Options
acolle
acolle Member Posts: 9 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi, 

I have an Acer V15 Nitro VN7-591G-72K6 laptop with: GTX860M (60FPS), 16GB and 1920x1080. 

I like to play FFXIV, it is the only game that I play. Lately I started to think about to get an ultra-wide curved monitor to use with my laptop however; I'm not sure it will work. I don't know if buying one of those I would be able to extract the maximum of their capabilities(high full wide resolution - higher than 1080, high FPS). 

I've been thinking on this model 29" LG 29UC88-B it has an IPS Display 21:9 Curved UltraWide FHD (2560x1080). Would it work?

Thank you!

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

If I were you, I wouldn't buy it. If your fps is 60 then with this monitor at 2560x1080 it will be somewhere between 40-45. As as I said it depends on you if you are prepared to sacrifice some fps or image quality. I didn't ask but what is the refresh rate of the monitor you want to purchase?

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    Options
    It depends on you whether you want to buy it or not. I don't know how much fps your game is running with, but after changing the resolution to 2560x1080 from 1920x1080 your fps will be less, so in order to keep your fps the same you will have to reduce the quality. Full HD is enough for you system and I don't think there is any need to go higher than that.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• acolle
    Options
    Basically I can get this monitor and use the current resolution that I use in my laptop 1920x1080 and only change the aspect ratio to be 21:9 and I should be good to go, if my FPS is decent. Right?
  • ven98
    Options
    Not quite, because if you run 1920x1080 at 21:9 aspect ratio the image will look stretched.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• acolle
    Options
    I see! This was what I suspected.

Alright, probably the monitor will provide resolutions that fit the 21:9 and are lower than 2560x1080, right?

Or the GTX will be powerful enough to provide a decent FPS with the higher resolution. It is difficult to know without testing. Right now I feel it very good in my 15" (16:9), no complains.

What would be the worst case scenario?
  • ven98
    Options
    In my calculations your fps will be with 33% lower.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• acolle
    Options
    How can I read this?

Should I give up and don't waste my money? Or it will work but with a very low FPS?
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options

If I were you, I wouldn't buy it. If your fps is 60 then with this monitor at 2560x1080 it will be somewhere between 40-45. As as I said it depends on you if you are prepared to sacrifice some fps or image quality. I didn't ask but what is the refresh rate of the monitor you want to purchase?

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• acolle
    Options
    It says up to 75hz. There is something called FreeSync which I have no idea of the benefit.

https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/d866486

Well, it is what is. Thank you for the advice. Giving up on the idea.
  • ven98
    Options
    Free sync is a feature which enables the monitor to match the refresh rate to the game's fps to remove screen tearing. Sadly Free Sync works only with AMD GPUs so you won't be able to enable it. For Nvidia it is called G-sync, which does the same thing, but your GPU doesn't support it.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ACEMİ_USTAD
    ACEMİ_USTAD Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options
    acolle said:

Hi, 

I have an Acer V15 Nitro VN7-591G-72K6 laptop with: GTX860M (60FPS), 16GB and 1920x1080. 

I like to play FFXIV, it is the only game that I play. Lately I started to think about to get an ultra-wide curved monitor to use with my laptop however; I'm not sure it will work. I don't know if buying one of those I would be able to extract the maximum of their capabilities(high full wide resolution - higher than 1080, high FPS). 

I've been thinking on this model 29" LG 29UC88-B it has an IPS Display 21:9 Curved UltraWide FHD (2560x1080). Would it work?

Thank you!

good idea for the movie :)
    not for the game :(