Helios 300 keyboard keys issue.

Options
albatrosnw
albatrosnw Member Posts: 3 New User
edited October 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hey guys
I got a bit of a funny issue with my keys.
It happened after i rushed and just closed laptop lid.
Once i opened it again, certain keys just stopped working. All in one area.

Funny enough is that they will start working fine sometimes then happen again.
They keys are a, caps lock, tab, 1, esc, f1. i used a program to test keys to make sure its the right ones.
Tried a bunch of different things like restore windows function whilst keeping files.

Updated Bios to 1.9.

Also when i press them hard enough they can actually work but not for long.

Because of this, i am thinking its a hardware fault. Only had the laptop for about a month tho.
Hopefully theres a resolution to this, really cant be bothered taking it back for warranty as things take far too long to get sorted here in Sydney Australia.

Answers

• albatrosnw
    Options

Also to update i tried the pin reset on the back of laptop, didnt work.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    You can also reset the battery by sticking a paper clip or something equally thin in the battery reset pinhole. The laptop should not be charging and after reset just leave the laptop for 10 minutes, then press the power button continuously for 30seconds.

If doesn't help you can't do anything else, except calling Acer support service.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    sorry, I was writing while you wrote this. So nothing left to do except calling Acer.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• albatrosnw
    Options

Thanks mate, will do.

• JMichEvans
    JMichEvans Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options
    This is my third repost from another thread, though I find this relevant in addressing the problem. Note that the case and resolution below might not be shared with all owners of the Acer Predator G3-571 with the problem of unresponsive keys.

I had the same issue with my Acer Predator G3-571 a few days after purchasing it; T, U, P, ], and a few others were unresponsive unless I pushed down hard enough (though they responded normally most of the time if I did not exert pressure on the base of the laptop). After uninstalling/reinstalling the keyboard driver, updating the BIOS, and performing a hard reset via the battery reset pin, I finally fixed the problem by tightening the ribbon cable connecting the keyboard to the motherboard.

More than likely, a loose connection between the ribbon cable and the keyboard is the culprit behind the problem. If you're not comfortable diagnosing your computer and performing that fix if necessary, contact Acer support or an otherwise certified technician.

<I'm-not-an-Acer-employee>