SSD upgrade for Aspire Switch 11

Options
WoodGuy
WoodGuy Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I would like to upgrade the 128 GB SSD in my Acer Switch 11 SW5-171-39AV to either 256 or 512.  Is this possible?

Answers

• DonVictor
    DonVictor Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Is there any answer for this question???
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    Yes there is. :)
    The SSD is replaceable, it looks like a M.2 SATA not NVMe. It's a bit of a challenge to get it apart enough to get to it, but quite doable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dkoneill
    dkoneill Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm interested in doing this SSD upgrade, too. Are there any guides available on the necessary teardown? I've seen one on YouTube for the Switch 10, but have not been able to find anything for the Switch 11 on iFixit, YouTube, etc. Thanks in advance.
  • billsey
    Options
    There are four screws at the bottom of the main part of the computer, near where the keyboard snaps on. You remove all four then use a pry to ease the case halves apart, starting near the audio jack and going clockwise around. That's the hard part. Once the cover is off the SSD is right there above the battery...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the response. Can you confirm that the factory original drive is an M.2 SATA SSD? Windows 10 System Information tells me mine is a 64 Gb Hynix HCG8e.
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Forgot to mention in my last post, I'm curious whether there are specific limits on the size or speed of the replacement SSD to use. The factory original drive seems to be super slow (see https://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd.php?hdd=Hynix+HCG8e), which it certainly feels! I'm not looking to put a super high-end drive in, but also don't want to waste money on something faster or bigger than the Switch 11 can handle. 

• billsey
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Looks like they came with either a 60GB o a 128GB SSD in that slot. It looks like that drive is mSATA not M.2 though... So you will need an mSATA, which has a slightly different connector.
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, I also thought it might be mSATA. Does it look like this one? https://www.ebay.com/c/1739605080

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @dkonnelHello! Can you provide the exact model of the notebook? Example SW5-111, SW5-171 or SW5-173?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    Options
    WoodGuy said:

I would like to upgrade the 128 GB SSD in my Acer Switch 11 SW5-171-39AV to either 256 or 512.  Is this possible?

As "egydiocoelho" said "Can you provide the exact model of the notebook"? If you want to see how to open the Aspire Switch 11, have a look at this guide, this is for ram upgrade: https://liliputing.com/2015/10/how-to-upgrade-ram-on-the-acer-aspire-11-convertible-notebook.html

Aspire Switch 11 with back cover off

SSD spot above HDD
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks for the pics @StevenGen! My machine is the Aspire SW5-111. 

Isn't your bottom picture of the keyboard opened up? Mine has a space for a hard drive like that, and I bought the cable to put a hard drive inside the keyboard, but don't have it installed right now.
  • StevenGen
    Options
    dkoneill said:
    Thanks for the pics @StevenGen! My machine is the Aspire SW5-111. 

Isn't your bottom picture of the keyboard opened up? Mine has a space for a hard drive like that, and I bought the cable to put a hard drive inside the keyboard, but don't have it installed right now.
    Yes it is, its where the HDD's are. 
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Oops, looking at the installation guide you linked to, it is obviously for a very different machine. 
  • StevenGen
    Options
    dkoneill said:
    Oops, looking at the installation guide you linked to, it is obviously for a very different machine. 

That is for an Aspire Switch 11, in future, you should give the exact model number of your laptop as just stating Aspire Switch 11 is very basic as there are lots of different Aspire Switch 11 models.

• dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Apologies for the confusion. So, now that we're clear on my model number (SW5-111), are we sure the SSD is upgradeable?

The top photo you provided above doesn't look like it can be an SW5-111, because the speakers are in a completely different position in relation to the hinge (wrong orientation, too), and there are too many ports. I have been searching for a decent photo of the SW5-111 chassis with the back off but have had no luck so far. I'd like to know what I'm getting into before breaking the thing open.

Thanks again to @StevenGen, egydiocoelho for all your help.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This is the procedure for disassembling the sw5-111:

On the ssd, there is no 2280 m2 slot available. But you can replace the 2.5 "hard drive with a 2.5" ssd:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
     Thanks, @egydiocoelho. I appreciate all the pics.

Just to clarify, it seems like Figures 3-3, 3-4 and 3-6 all refer to the tablet (screen) portion of the device, but Figures 3-50 and 3-51 refer to the magnetically-connected keyboard dock. Isn't that correct? I say this because I'm sure the tablet portion of the device does not contain a hard drive, only an SSD. 

billsey seems to think the tablet portion of the SW5-111 contains a removable mSATA SSD, but you seem to have access to an official-looking service manual so you might know better.

Thanks again to everyone for their help.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Some versions of this model come with a hard drive. What I wanted to show you, is that your model has a soldered sata connector on the motherboard, it is possible to install a 2.5 "ssd.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• billsey
    Options
    Yes, that eBay mSATA drive is correct, though this one is slightly cheaper.
  • dkoneill

Tinkerer

Options
    Thanks, billsey. As you can see I have been going back and forth a bit with egydiocoelho about this upgrade as well. I clarified that what I have is an SW5-111, which has a magnetically attached keyboard dock. I don't want to put a drive in that, because it is too easy to corrupt it if the dock is disconnected while the drive is mounted. egydiocoelho seems to think I can put a 2.5" SSD in the tablet portion of the device, but it really doesn't seem thick enough for that. It really seems like only an mSATA or M.2 drive would be skinny enough.

I know the 10" version of my device does not have a removable SSD, but if you think my 11" version does, I will open it up this weekend to confirm before ordering a larger SSD.