Aspire VX15-V591G Fan control and dolby issues

Vin070809
Vin070809 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Anyone out there who can help me on:

1.) Is there any way to control the fans speed? I've tried the native advance power setting but no luck to find the tab for "cooling". I also tried MSI Afterburner, Precision XOC, and Speedfan but those utilities can't detect the 2 fans installed on my laptop, thus no way of altering their speeds/RPMs. My laptop heats up when I play games for at least 15-20mins, it's just COD BO2, I mean not that heavy on CPU or GPU. The fans speed are consinstent when idle and not throttling when needed during gaming.

2.) Dolby Advance Audio - its not automatically turned on and needed to click "turn on" after the games starts.

Thank you so much! Cheers!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    You cannot control the speed of the fans. The only thing you can do is enable turbo fan from Acer Quick Access application and this will make you fans spin a bit faster when idle and also under load.

About dolby audio, it is not an issue with your device only and sadly it cannot be fixed. Updating the realtek driver, BIOS nothing is going to stop it from turning off. Dolby Audio turns off every time the laptop connects to VoIP, meaning if you pick up a call from skype it will turn off. When you use TS3 it will turn off. When you play a game that has an option for voice conversation it will turn off and has to be turned on manually.

I have had this for an year and I don't really mind minimizing the game and turning on Dolby Audio. But if you can't bear with it, I suggest you to leave it off all the time or uninstall it and then download a program called Equalizer APO. It will enhance the sound of the speakers just as good as dolby audio. I have used it myself and I can say it works very well. I really recommend you to try it out.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Vin070809

Acer Quick access for VX15 deosn't have coolboost or any option for fan speed configuration. This is hopeless, I bought a gaming laptop expecting it would be optimized on this aspects. Heating on keyboard is really uncomportable. Increase on fan speed could have solved this. I also tried to look for fan speed in the BIOS, but to no luck, no options there either.

I installed APO equilizer, works great! Thank you!

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

Undervolting will drop the temperatures of the CPU and repasting will drop the temperatures of the CPU even further and the GPU too. Repasting is not recommened if you don't experiense any CPU or GPU throttling, but it will stop the heat build up a bit thus leaving the laptop's keyboard a bit cooler than before. Undervolting will reduce the heat generation from the CPU and your keyboard will be sligthly cooler than before.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Vin070809
    Does undervolting my CPU same as lowering its performance in the advance power options?
  • Sorig
    Sorig Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

No, undervolting does not affect the performance of your CPU. And it is not equal to messing with the power settings in Windows.

Since you can't control the RPM of the fans, undervolting is about the only thing you can do on this laptop to lower the temperatures a little, save for repasting which you shouldn't bother with unless undervolting still doesn't solve the excess heat.

I'm not sure if I am allowed post links to outside sites on these forums so look up on youtube "Undervolting" by Dave2D. That short video explains everything.

Try a -0.100v undervolt at first.

• Vin070809

Thank you! Undervolting actually works to decrease temp on the keyboard area. And it really is easy to do.

Although this did the trick, I'm still disappointed with acer for not providing utility software for this gaming laptop. not even the coolboost and anti dust feature. Oh well, no choice but to do a work around.

Cheers!

• KarmaAkabane
    KarmaAkabane Member Posts: 1 New User
    How do you enable the turbo fans in Acer Quick Access. Please guide me thank you.
  • Martinroldam
    Martinroldam Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    After 3 days of exploring the embedded controller, i've managed to change the fan speed. It has been one day since the mod and no issues appeared, even thought, i would not encourage anyone to do so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
    My model is: Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54PG, but it should work in any VX15/VX5. 
    1: Download and install RWEverything (it is free).
    2: Open the App, and go to EC (embedded controller) - located at top middle.

All this hex numbers constitute the EC, whenever you click on one of them, their decimal value will be displayed in red on the top left of the table.

3: Locate the position "189", which its value will be "52", change this value to "4E" and, after 1 minute, both fans will be spinning at full speed (jet engine like).

The "52" value (standard) let the fans at AUTO, while "4E" spool them to FULL. 

I'm not sure about why/how this works or even if it causes any damage (which i find unlikely).
    I will do a proper Notebook FanControl (NBFC) profile in the furute, maybe including some other fixes, I will also keep this thread up to date in any issues it may happen in my system.
  • J_O_R_D_A_N
    J_O_R_D_A_N Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

After 3 days of exploring the embedded controller, i've managed to change the fan speed. It has been one day since the mod and no issues appeared, even thought, i would not encourage anyone to do so, DO AT YOUR OWN RISK. 
    My model is: Acer Aspire VX 15 VX5-591G-54PG, but it should work in any VX15/VX5. 

All this hex numbers constitute the EC, whenever you click on one of them, their decimal value will be displayed in red on the top left of the table.

3: Locate the position "189", which its value will be "52", change this value to "4E" and, after 1 minute, both fans will be spinning at full speed (jet engine like).

I'm not sure about why/how this works or even if it causes any damage (which i find unlikely).
    I will do a proper Notebook FanControl (NBFC) profile in the furute, maybe including some other fixes, I will also keep this thread up to date in any issues it may happen in my system.
    this actually works been searching for a way to turn my fans at 100% for a while ,you're the man dude I can't believe this did work, the fans are so loud they get kinda annoying but who cares as long as my laptop is cool right?   :D   
  • Deserys
    Deserys Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Set power plan for balanced. Fans should always work auto...
    If you have HDD -> then maybe HDD is making the noise. I know that my HGST is making HUGE noise eveytime. Need to swap it.
    I play BO2 too. I have everything maxed. Fans spin normal on balanced mode. But HDD is loud as angry bulldog on cocaine while eating raw and bloody meat.

For second:
    Open playback devices by right click on speaker icon in right corner of start menu.
    Select "Speakers", double click it.
    Go to Advanced tab, make "allow other apps to take control f the audio device" empty. It should help.

• AS_DarkFus10n
    AS_DarkFus10n Member Posts: 1 New User

Gday Martin. Have you managed to make a NBFC profile for the Acer Aspire VX5-591G? would really appreciate it!
  • djelano_23
    djelano_23 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello Martin, did you make a NBFC profile already? It should be great if you have it, because I am really interested in this profile... 
    With kind regards,
    Djelano
  • Martinroldam
    Martinroldam Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Ok guys. It has been 4 months and no issues so far, countless hours of gaming/hashing and so far so good for both inside and outside, althought the inside got reasonably dust, I really recommend for u guys to check out the inside of your's every 3 months or so, if you are a heavy user as am I. 
    Regarding the NBFC profile, I did manage to make one, which for my climate (usually above 25ºC - high 80s F), works fine and could be easily moded by anyone, but I couldn't add it to the official NBFC page, got lots os issues while doing so an gave up on it for a while. I will attempt it again during my vacation and will keep u guys up to date. 
    Cheers.
  • siny79
    siny79 Member Posts: 27 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Great news @Martinroldam! Can't wait to test that profile. Thanks man.
    Cheers.
  • J_O_R_D_A_N
    J_O_R_D_A_N Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

@Martinroldam
    Yes can't wait for the profile too
    You're amazing

• Lucaszx
    Lucaszx Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

I made a tutorial to speed up the fans, check it out :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2eoWrpZwcI