adding an ssd external drive to Aspire F 15

jonwyll
jonwyll Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

hi there

I have an Acer Aspire F15 F5 -571 i5 16gb ram and 1 tb hdd

I would like to speed it up with an external ssd - is it possible to buy an external ssd with usb connector 

and simply plug it into the laptop and then run it faster?

many thanks 

jon

Answers

• dougc
    dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Here is a (alternate forum) Q/A  from 2015 that talks of what you're considering;

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2614183/booting-windows-external-ssd-usb-faster-internal-sata-ssd.html 

Interesting (negative to the) question,   since my 2011 Vaio within the Bios allows booting from a "external drive" !

And really why would ya on a regular basis, since if you actually use a laptop for it's portability,  the external is another piece of hardware you have to also safely transport to different location ....

Oh, here is a spring '17 article that answers that;

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3185777/windows/how-to-install-windows-on-an-external-drive.html   Smiley Wink

D'

• jonwyll
    jonwyll Member Posts: 2 New User

thanks Doug

I'm afraid neither of those links work

• dougc
    dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Hmm I see too,  and that is interesting from a couple 'angles';

_ that they were acquired a 'realtime' google.ca search as soon as read your thread this a.m. ... not from aging bookmarks.

_ and when i first viewed your response it was on a cranky tablet  but I still was able to view them  when i copied/viewed them thru inputting into the browser url field. 

IMHO think Harvey is impacting a lot of internet routing,  personally first experienced last weekend when attempting some Microsoft authored updates.....

Input the keywords that I used just now,   "external SSD with OS booting"  into google.ca search field, and you will find still at least one of these two linked articles in the listing .... and it does work directly coming off the google search !!

Or just wait to see if someone else will contribute an answer with their personal trial/error  external SSD usage   Smiley Happy

D'