Aspire Switch 10E won't turn on, blue light on

Ashura
Ashura Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I'm experiencing this absurd problem on my Switch 10E

The screen goes black at random, while the light indicator keeps being blue. If I turn off the computer, and try to turn it on again, only the light indicator goes on. In order to boot it again, I have to make the battery totally drain, charge it again, and turn on the computer. It doesn't seem to have the issue if I stay in bios or with ubuntu live version from usb. Now I wonder if this may be an hardware issue or something happend with windows..

Best Answer

• Ashura
    Answer ✓

So, I just wanted to let you know that I solved my problem. It wasn't an hardware related issue, it was a pure software started process.

I still don't know exactly what was going on, but as I said the problem was only in windows, ubuntu, bios, and windows safe mode all worked. I found out an information in the event viewer about the kernel starting a shutdown trasition, the software was aware of the shutdown. I still don't know why I couldn't boot the system after the shutdown... but I guess it had something to do with the Hybrid sleep function and the ram not getting fully cleaned. I solved by reinstalling windows via the fresh start function in windows defender, clean intall.. reset this pc didn't work.

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Does it have a battery reset?

• Ashura

Nope, no battery reset

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

you can try a force reset with the AC charger connected do a long press on power button+volume UP or down (try both ways for 20-30 seconds)

if this work, it will bring you to the BIOS and then you can exit it and boot to windows.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Ashura

nothing changes. I forgot to mention thet if I long press the power button nothing happens, I have to wait for the battery to die to boot the pc again, until it does the same, goes black with the led on

• doughjohn

Hi

So remove the battery and run for a while just on AC power.

Then any black screen can be solved/resolved by pressing the power button or the wall switch.

• IronFly

doughjohn wrote:

Hi

So remove the battery and run for a while just on AC power.

Then any black screen can be solved/resolved by pressing the power button or the wall switch.

completly opening a tablet/convertible?

also the Switch 10E is not capable to run only on AC power.

once you are able to boot to windows again, can you please check your BIOS version?

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS DATE/String

can you please report your complete laptop model?

SWx-xxx

• Ashura

SW3-016

the bios is 1.15

I couldn't boot yet, the battery has togo flat for me to be able to boot into windows again. Last time the screen went black at random.

• IronFly

Bios is the latest, so the only way to fix this issue, is to contac Acer support service, if you are still under warranty.

• doughjohn

Hi

I would check that Windows can actually shutdown, and not go into hibernate.

imageimage

And go with a windows setting config cause.  Remove the turn on fast start option.

Change what the power button and lid do.

You actually need to make a change to break the cycle, because when the screen goes black it may be hibernating and if the power button is set to do nothing it does nothing. 

Flat battery, and effevtively the ram will have cleared, and the HDD shut down, and no running OS will be detected.  Reboot and W10 will seem to reboot from the grave.

Then the cycle starts again.

• Ashura

That didn't work.. anyway, this morning I was able to use my tablet for a long time with a cooling fan pointed at it.. as soon as I removed it, the black screen appeared. I guess it's an overheating problem... I'm going to contact Acer

• Ashura
    Answer ✓

So, I just wanted to let you know that I solved my problem. It wasn't an hardware related issue, it was a pure software started process.

I still don't know exactly what was going on, but as I said the problem was only in windows, ubuntu, bios, and windows safe mode all worked. I found out an information in the event viewer about the kernel starting a shutdown trasition, the software was aware of the shutdown. I still don't know why I couldn't boot the system after the shutdown... but I guess it had something to do with the Hybrid sleep function and the ram not getting fully cleaned. I solved by reinstalling windows via the fresh start function in windows defender, clean intall.. reset this pc didn't work.