TMP645 Fingerprint Scanner Diasabled

PF
PF Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

My Travelmate has failed, won't boot. I have full backups of files that were on it, a few of which were encripted with Pro Shield using a password and Finger print scanner. Since the machine is now unusable it would be useful to be able to recover the encrypted files. Loading ProShield on another machine (which does not have fingerprint scanning) it will not open the encrypted files. I had hoped to be able to use the password to decrypt them. Is there any solution to this?

Best Answer

• PF
    Answer ✓

Having researched this further it looks like the ProShield is linked with the Egistec fingerprint scanner, that is fitted on the Acer but not my Lenovo machine. I can see no way of getting the software to work on the Lenovo. Thanks for your support, but it seems this is a non starter, encription programs work fine till the machine breaks! Another learnig experience!

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

2 obvious possibilities, get a machine with a finger print scanner OR try and get the existing one to function 1 more time.

Wont boot?  Any message displayed, and how far does the POST / BOOT sequence get?

Would there be any recovery area for the machine, invoked by Alt + F10 or whatever?

• PF

Thank you for your suggestions. I regret that getting the machine to start one more time is not possible as it does not even get to the BIOS. Power on lights up the keyboard and shows a power on light, but no further response, screen does not show anything, many tests suggest a mother board hardware fault so i am afraid the machine is dead.

I now have a new machine, Lenovo, not Acer which does have a finger print scanner, would it be possible to load the Acer Pro Shield app on that and expect it t be able to decrypt the files?

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Certainly worth a try.

• PF
    Answer ✓

Having researched this further it looks like the ProShield is linked with the Egistec fingerprint scanner, that is fitted on the Acer but not my Lenovo machine. I can see no way of getting the software to work on the Lenovo. Thanks for your support, but it seems this is a non starter, encription programs work fine till the machine breaks! Another learnig experience!