ACER Aspire 5633WLMi Issues

JPanag1982
JPanag1982 Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello to The Community

I am owner of an old Acer Aspire 5633WLMi (T5500, 2GB RAM, nVidia Go7300). I updated some parts of The laptop (RAM, CPU, HDD) and I updated my BIOS to the last version (3.6). The Laptop is still very good for the not very use I make of, but I have some issues that I will mention:

a) Although it Supports up to 4GB RAM, the Laptop Cannot "see" more than 3GB (I installed Windows 7 x64, because I thought that it was due to x86 OS, but the problem remains)

b) Although my CPU (both my old T5550 and my new T7200), support Virtualizationm Technology, I cannot find the way to enabkle it from my BIOS.

c)When I tried To upgrade to Windows 8.1/10, I always took a BSOD due to the ENE CardReader that my laptop has.

So, I would like to ask:

a) Is There any chance that Acer would upload a new BIOS for 4GB RAM Support and a choice to enable VT?

b) If not, is there any unofficial Modded BIOS?

c) Is There any Driver for The ENE CardReader, that is compatible with Windows 8.1/10?

Thank you very much!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer

If available, the advance BIOS options tab might be accessed with the Fn+TAB toggle while inside the BIOS settings menu. Press F10 to save and exit. Then immediately do another F2 into the BIOS menu to see if the advanced features tab appears. If not, then VT likely can't be enabled. As to the RAM issue, it's probably due to compatibility variations in the older DDR2 modules that are available now. Go to crucial dot com and download their scanner to see what the scanner recommends. Updated card reader drivers probably ended with Win7 so I'd either try one of those or uninstall the current driver and let Win10 do an online autosearch for a better one. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JPanag1982

Thank you very much. I will Try your advices ASAP

• JPanag1982

Dear JackE

Thank again for your advices

Unfortunatelly, There are no Advanced options. I tried the Fn+Tab but it did not worked. In Advance, IU tried 4GB RAM of Noname, Crucial and Samsung, but still I get 3GB during the RAM check when I Boot the PC. On Windows screen I take a Message 4GB installed but 3GB in use (Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 is my O.S.)

If you have any suggetions I would be glad to hear it from you.

P.S.: All the RAM modules I used, were DDR2 667Mhz and paired

• JackE

Run "msinfo32.exe" without the quotes. What do you see as total installed, total physical & available physical memory? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JPanag1982

Well, I ran the msinfo32 and I got these results as below:

InsTalled RAM: 4GB

Total Physical RAM: 3GB

Available Physical RAM: 1,94GB

• JackE

Cold boot F2 back into the BIOS setup menu again. Enable a BIOS password in the Security dropdown --- make it a password that you can't easily forget or make a keyboard mistake on. 8^) Also note your BIOS vendor Insyde, Phoenix, etc. F10 to save & exit. Then do a normal Windows cold shutdown. F2 back into the BIOS menu with your password. Do you see any changes to the menu dropdowns or options relating to Advanced or memory setting? What was the BIOS name? Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• JPanag1982

Dear JackE. At first I am sorry for my rudeness to answer you so late. Unfortunately I failed with your senond advice too. As for the RAM amount, i Read that my clipset uses 32bit's PAE, and so it cannot see more than 3GB RAM. Is there any way to change that, or do I haave to accept that I can have only 3GB? In this case I will install Windows 10 1703 x86 Core...

Anyway once more I would like to thank you for spending your time in order to solve my problem

• JackE

>>> I failed with your senond advice too.>>> i Read that my clipset uses 32bit's>>>

Does this mean that the BIOS menu couldn't be accessed? Or that a BIOS password couldn't be set? Or that you could not identify the BIOS manufacturer such as Insyde, Phoenix? Or that the BIOS menu did not change upon setting a password? What part of the BIOS recommendation failed? Also do you have a link to reading about your chipset? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JPanag1982

My BIOS is Phoenix. I created the password then made the windows shut down and the restart but nothing changed to my BIOS Advanced Menu's.

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Mod-BIOS-v3-6-for-Acer-Aspire-5633-WLMi?pid=131439#pid131439

I made this thread as well and i got this answer

• JackE

Do you recall the original factory-delivered Windows version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JPanag1982
    The original laptop was t5500 1.66GHz with 2GB RAM and came with Windows Vista Home Premium x86
  • JackE

>>>still I get 3GB during the RAM check when I Boot the PC>>>

The BIOS chip hardware itself on the mainboard, not the BIOS chip's firmware, may be limited. When you downloaded and ran the crucial dot com SCANNER earlier that is specific to your machine, what RAM upgrade did it indicate was possible? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JPanag1982
    4GB but I bought the RAM that Crucial suggested and I still got 3GB RAM
  • JackE

While the upgrades that you've tried may be compatible with you're mainboard, this only means the upgrades will work when installed but NOT necessarily be used to their full potential. Other than the what we've already tried, I'm unware of any other firmware, mods and/or tricks that will provide access to advanced features to allow your BIOS chip to recognize more than 3GB RAM when a 4GB or even an 8GB compatible module is installed. Sorry that I couldn't help you overcome the inherent limitations of this old mainboard. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Kathy-1
    Kathy-1 Member Posts: 167 Die Hard WiFi Icon

JPanag1982 wrote:

My BIOS is Phoenix. I created the password then made the windows shut down and the restart but nothing changed to my BIOS Advanced Menu's.

https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thread-Mod-BIOS-v3-6-for-Acer-Aspire-5633-WLMi?pid=131439#pid131439

I made this thread as well and i got this answer

Hello everyone,

While our members are generally eager to provide useful information, be advised that Acer does not validate third party external links for downloads and is not responsible for them.

We also cannot attest to the safety of third party websites.

Acquiring files through such links is at the user’s own risk.

• JPanag1982
    Thank you very much for your help
  • JPanag1982
    I am sorry I didn't want to cause problem to the community but I try to find answers.I must also say I sent mail to the acer but I never received any answer.so if there is a way from you Mr/Mrs Kathy to help me install 4 GB RAM and to use the full 4GB and not only the 3 of them