A few issues after black screen

Options
svchost
svchost Member Posts: 21 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi, i have a PREDATOR G9-591. Everything was normal until my screen went to black. I waited for a few seconds but nothing happened so i restarted the PC by pressing power button. Then suddenly fans were started to run at maximum speed for a few seconds. Then they went silent but started running again. Since that day, my fans are always running at constant speed. Always between 3900 - 4000 RPM according to the Predator Sense. Even i enable "Maximum fan speed" option in Predator Sense, it keeps running between 3900 - 4000 RPM. I will try cleaning fans from dust but i'm nearly sure that this wont solve it because i didnt have this fast fans until that black screen. Also something is wrong in Predator Sense now.predator.png

CPU frequency is always 800 mhz. CPU tempeature is always 0 C (tempeature changes in HWMonitor so probably sensors are fine.) I tried to factory reset my PC but nothing changed. All drivers are updated.

Also, my PC is a little bit slower and have fps lags in games(I was able to play Crysis 3 in Ultra settings with 30 fps but now, i cant even play Adr1ft smoothly. And its not even smooth in Google Chrome). I thought chance of a hardware damage but my screen is dont flickering, i dont see colorful lines on screen so probably GPU is fine. If CPU is not fine, probably i will have error signs, but everything looks fine. 

Thank you...

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is an issue with your sensors or I don't know what that trips the intel adaptive thermal monitor(i believe this how it was called) and it tells it that your CPU is overheating, even though it isn't and therefore it throttles the CPU down to save it from death. That is also the reason why your fans are running at full speeds.

Do you know how the temperatures of your CPU were before this happened? Was the laptop overheating frequently? Did it overheat overall?

I can only suggest you to perform a battery reset by sticking a paper clip in the battery reset hole. Then leave the laptop for 10 minutes and then press the power button for 30 seconds(i dont know the exact procedure). Also check your BIOS version and update to the latest one if your version is outdated. And last one, I have heard/read that disabling BD PROCHOT from throttlestop(you have to download it) fixes this issue but not for all devices.

I never had this issue with any PC so I don't know any other ways that are likely to fix your problem.

If these methods that I described don't work, I suggest you to contact Acer. I am almost certain it is not an issue with your CPU. Also someone else from the community might know some other method of fixing this, so keep a track on this thread.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

which BIOS version is installed on your laptop?

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

report BIOS DATE/Version

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ven98
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is an issue with your sensors or I don't know what that trips the intel adaptive thermal monitor(i believe this how it was called) and it tells it that your CPU is overheating, even though it isn't and therefore it throttles the CPU down to save it from death. That is also the reason why your fans are running at full speeds.

Do you know how the temperatures of your CPU were before this happened? Was the laptop overheating frequently? Did it overheat overall?

I can only suggest you to perform a battery reset by sticking a paper clip in the battery reset hole. Then leave the laptop for 10 minutes and then press the power button for 30 seconds(i dont know the exact procedure). Also check your BIOS version and update to the latest one if your version is outdated. And last one, I have heard/read that disabling BD PROCHOT from throttlestop(you have to download it) fixes this issue but not for all devices.

I never had this issue with any PC so I don't know any other ways that are likely to fix your problem.

If these methods that I described don't work, I suggest you to contact Acer. I am almost certain it is not an issue with your CPU. Also someone else from the community might know some other method of fixing this, so keep a track on this thread.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options
    I just read a thread, which was made a month ago. It looks like your CPU frequency is fixed, but do your fans still run at max speeds?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• svchost
    Options

Bios Version = Acer V1.06

Bios Date = 12.11.2015

• svchost
    Options

Yes, i saw that thread too. I fixed constant CPU frequency with throttlestop, it fixed fps lag, etc. But yes, my fans are still running at constant speed. Between 3900 - 4000 rpm.

• ven98
    Options

What is your laptop's model?

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• ven98
    Options

If it is G9-591 for real, download the latest BIOS from here. Make sure your battery is 100% and laptop connected to charger while updating. Just extract the .exe file and launch it.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• svchost
    Options

I checked again, its Predator G9-591. Thank you, i will update it. 

• svchost
    Options

bios.PNG

This is the true one right? I know updating bios is a little bit dangerous so i want to make sure.

• ven98
    Options
    Yes that is the one.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• svchost
    Options

I just updated it and nothing looks changed. Fans are still running between 3900 - 4000 rpm. I will try cleaning air vents, if this wont solve it, i will contact acer support. If anything changes, i will write it. Thank you for replies.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i doubt that cleaning vents will solve the situation, probably a sensor went bad, better contact Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • svchost
    Options

I just wanted to try battery reset, i was feeling hopeless but it worked! 

battery.PNG

Now, my cpu mhz is not stucked at 800 even if BD PROCHOT is enabled. Fans are changing their speeds. On idle, they are nearly silent. CPU tempeature is normal. Thank you for advising me to reset my battery! Thanks a lot!