RE: BIOS UPDATE FOR X4620G

Options
MAGNACOM
MAGNACOM Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 29 in 2018 Archives

hi

in the bios section there are multiple bios updates but (NOT FOR UPGRADES) is confising me

BIOS - UEFI for Windows 8 (Not for Upgrades)

Date: 2013/01/14 

Version: P11.A1

Vendor: Acer

Size: 2.6 MB

is this the correct bios for my standard Win7 32bit setup Veriton X4620G?

cheers

scott

Answers

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

There are better people than me to answer this, but...

I think there are 3 types of BIOS you could see.

Those with an L are for linux only.

Then there are the ones for older types that are still running to their original specs/OS (they have not been upgraded).

Thirdly, there is an upgraded version of the machines.  Whether it is a new motherboard, BIOS supplier, memory type, onboard Bluetooth, OS or whatever.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

How can i understand which version i need to download?

Laptop versions:
    1.xx can only be updated using 1.xx versions
    2.xx can only be updated using 2.xx versions (normally 2.xx version are labeled "not for upgrades")

Desktop versions:
    P01.xx can only be updated using P01.xx versions
    P11.xx can only be updated using P11.xx versions (normally P11.xx version are labeled "*not for upgrades")

"L" BIOS versions are Linux OS dedicated (example P01.xxL)

* what does it mean "not for upgrades"?
    During the windows 7 to 8 transition, some PC models had different BIOS versions from factory, related to the installed OS.
    Windows 8 PC got an UEFI BIOS
    Windows 7 PC got a "Legacy" BIOS

So PC with Windows 7 installed from factory can't use the "not for upgrades" BIOS version, even if they were upgraded to Windows 8 or 10, since the factory BIOS was a different version compared to PC with Windows 8 from factory.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • hIGHnMighty
    hIGHnMighty Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I've never posted her before, but maybe someone can help me troubleshoot a rig I'm building. It has the B75H2-AD (V1.0) mobo from a Veriton x4620g. What confuses me most is that the bios it shipped with is P21-A1. This not one of the bios options listed in the support page for the x4620g. Everything seems to work fine EXCEPT...No USB 3.0, front or back, yes front is plugged into board header, although I understand they use the same controller. I've updated all drivers through windows 10 device manager and one USB device "USB xHCI Compliant Host Controller" has error code 10.

Here is some info in the device properties: Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E31&SUBSYS_
    80301025&REV_04\3&11583659&0&A0 was configured. Driver version: 10.0.16299.251, published by Microsoft 2/21/18
    the board hardware version is 1.0, so maybe it shipped with win7? I installed an Intel 3470cpu with 8gb ddr3.

I'm not sure if this is a driver issue or if my board is somehow damaged or has the wrong bios flashed. I've even tried flashing both P01 and P11 bios variants using the admin command prompt but got errors, yes safe boot is off. USB 3 ports seems to work within the bios and it reads my live linux 2.0 usb (but doesn't fully boot, there's an error) No USB 3.0 in any OS once booted, but the ports are receiving power, so I'm inclined to think it just needs a driver, but why wont it boot linux mint unless I use USB 2.0? wrong Bios? Help me in a noob.

Thanks in advance for any information regarding this matter!