Ethernet is slower than wifi on Acer Aspire e5-575 59FD

ukanimator143
ukanimator143 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives
Internet and network file transfer is so slower by ethernet cable than on wifi. I tried different cables, different network outlet but nothing works. Same cables works fine with other pc. I tried installing latest driver but still no success. I use windows 10 and it’s a realtek adapter. What should I do?

Answers

• Trikein
    Trikein Member Posts: 25

Tinkerer

First check that you don't have any extra adapters installed on your ethernet local area connection. You can find your local area connectiop properties by pressing Windows Key + R > NCPA.CPL > Right click your ethernet connection and left click "Properties". Here is what a typical properties screen will look like;

configure-network-card

Anything else are things either installed by you or other software on your computer. Also click on configure and then the "Driver" tab and check the driver version and post it here. Next, right click on your local area connection and left click status and see what is listed under "speed". 

Last, what do you have the ethernet from the laptop plugged into? Your modem? A ethernet wall outlet? A router?

• ukanimator143
    The drivers are 10.019. The speed is listed as 100mbps. And it is connected through a wall socket. Network map is as following:
    Router>Distribution hub>Wall sockets>laptop.
  • Trikein

Tinkerer

What Operating System are you using? The specs for the 59FD show Linux OS but the Support page says Windows 10. If windows 10, the latest driver is 10.16.323.2017. Click link to download or see the support page itself here.

Also, can you run a speed test on ethernet and one on wifi? I suggest using DSLReports speed test found here. If ethernet results are alot slower then 100Mbps, try connecting the laptop direct to the router and test again. 

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

Your description suggests problems in 2 areas, copying over a network and internet access.

Normally WiFi is seen as slower, however you could have several channels bonded as one, so perhaps a configuration check and an internet speed check.

I use ookla and if you can segregate the systems and run a speed test then we have a set of numbers to work with.  Similarly posting some of you ipconfig -all may help.

The 3 commands below generate your ipconfig, then pipe it to IP.txt and finally open it using notepad. You only need run the first one, but copying and pasting is easier with all 3.

ipconfig -all | more /c
    ipconfig -all >>IP.txt
    Notepad IP.txt

If in doubt please ask.

• ukanimator143
    Hi, I jacked my laptop direct to router with same cable and speed is restored back to usual. So i think maybe wall socket or distribution hub is faulty because other systems have also registered speed drop. I am going to replace the wall socket first then distribution hub. By the way than you all for your kind support. For a minute I thought of calling acer for repair. Thank you again.
  • Trikein

Tinkerer

" So i think maybe wall socket or distribution hub is faulty"

If I had to guess, your hub and/or wiring is restricted to a 10/100Mbps cap caused by the hardware capability. You can tell this by looking at the network connection rate as described previously, while connected to the router. I bet that will be 10/100/1000Mbps, AKA gigabit. What is unusual is usually 100Mbps is faster then you will find on the adverage Wifi N connection with adverage congestion. What could be happening though is the 10/100 bottleneck is causing a traffic jam at the router since it is faster then the hub, which can cause packets to need to be re-transmited, causing further congestion then just the 10/100Mbps bottleneck alone. Long story short, make sure all the wiring from the router to the panel, and from the panel through the walls, and the wall jack itself CAT5e or above and gigabit capable. If your doing a full re-install, instead of a patch fix, you might want to look into CAT6 for futureprooving, but it's not needed for gigabit speed.

PS. I don't know if programs are allowed from other forums, but if so I highly suggest Minitoolbox from bleepingcomputer.com. The "List IP Configuration" option can be a easy way to get a IPconfig /all log including hardware and OS info. It can also be used for other hardware diagnostics and completly free and passive.