My Aspire V keeps showing that i have very little free space

Gordon2
Gordon2 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Please help me as I am elderly and do not understand this message that keeps appearing! Have looked in 'my PC' and it says '5gb free of 95gb' I have had the laptop for about 6 monhs an and I do not download any films or music but just use it for emails and searching and my photos.

To help you I have about 950 photos in 'my docs' and in Thunderbird I have about 1500 emails saved.

I have used my cleaner to clear everything I can but this only reduced it by 3GB.

What have I done wrong? Is it all the photos because I can put these on a memory stik if necessary.

In simple terms please!

Gordon

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Could be many things but is unlikely you are using that much space with 950 photos and 1500 e-Mails (unless have a lot of attachments).

I've installed Win 10 on 32GB systems (not easy but doable) so with 95GB you should have 30-50GB of free space.

The first step would be to open a CMD box to C:\ and do a dir/a. Doo you have any files over a GB ? (probably .sys files) Do you have anything like windows.old ?

Second open file explorer to the C: drive and in the search box type sizeSmiley Embarassed500MB this will return all files larger than 500 MB. There should not be more than a few.

We need to find out what is using all of your disk space and may be tedious.

May need to enlist a neighbor or kid who understands Command Line Entries.

• Gordon2

Tinkerer

I have tried this but still cannot understand. Have run cleaner again and got any extra couple of GB

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hi

I doubt very much you have done anything wrong.

Although you have very limited space I would use some of this by downloading and installing a program from Piriform, Ccleaner.  Also if you can manage to install a trial version of Malwarebytes.  Let then run and do their particular thing.

What, if any, anti-virus do you run?

If in doubt please ask.

• Gordon2

Tinkerer

Hello Doughjohn

I use Avast for many years and it seems ok.

Have Piriform Cleaner on and use it regularly - but do not have Malware

Thanks

• Gordon2

Tinkerer

One further thing of interest - I did as someone said and put ALL my documents and photos onto a memory stick together with allmy emails - but this only increased my free space by 4.2GB now giving me 9GB free of the 90GB!

Thank you