Helios 300 G3-571 GPU overclock

Blancco
Blancco Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hello are there any news concerning the overclocking of the GTX 1060 on G3-571 so far (predator sense), i know its already available for G3-572.

If not, did anyone try overclocking using MSI afterburner and if there are any recommendations.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

So they say it is not currently supported by g3-571, which means they will make it for G3-571 too. You can still try downloading the Predator Sense version from PH317-51's page.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98

I don't have neither g3-571 nor g3-572, but as both have the same hardware, with only difference of storage and that the g3-572 has metal fans. What temperatures does your GPU reach, while intense gaming, because there is no point overclocking when your temperatures are high. Also overclocking the GPU will affect the temperature of the CPU too, so you have to see how hot your CPU is running too.

Overclocking by using 3rd part apllications, except predator sense void warranty if dedected by Acer.

I personaly don't find any point of overclocking an already powerful GPU, which can any game at high-ultra settings. Plus it is not worth overclocking just to get some 5%-10% boost(depending on the clock speed). If you get 40fps average in a game it will increase it to 44fps. If it is available in Predator Sense then overclock it.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

I agree with Ven, the 1060 is a strong performer especially paired with the i7. I wouldn't overclock it, if you want more juice and have the money maybe look for something with a 1070.

• Blancco
    I understand what you are saying but i saw the predator sense for G3-572 and there is a turbo boost for GPU overclocking thats why i was wondering as i know both G3-571 and G3-572 has almost the exact hardware.
  • Flx

Do you have a link to this information?

• ven98

I just checked the drivers of all helios laptops in Acer's website and I saw that the version of Predator Sense for G3-571 is 2.01.3000. There isn't any predator sense software for g3-572 and g3-573, therefore if you have one of these 2 models, then you should download your predator sense from G3-571's page. These 3 variants of the laptop are all 15.6inch. There is another helios which I believe is 17.3inches(correct me if I am wrong) and its model is PH317-51. When I checked the Predator Sense version under this model, it is 2.01.3004. I suggest you to download Predator Sense from here and see if you will have the overclocking feature. But even if this version of Predator Sense has it, your model might not support it, because 17inch's have more room and therefore better cooling and overclocking the GTX1060 is possible, without reaching as high temperatures.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Blancco
    This Link shows that "so far" its supported for G3-572 (15 inch) and the PH (17 inch) models
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49967/~/can-i-overclock-the-gpu-on-the-predator-helios-300
  • ven98
    Answer ✓

So they say it is not currently supported by g3-571, which means they will make it for G3-571 too. You can still try downloading the Predator Sense version from PH317-51's page.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Blancco
    Yes will try that and let you know
  • Flx

Very interesting information, thanks.

• Blancco

I tried installing the predator sense for PH317-51 but had the same UI with no overclocking, i think its not available for G3-571 for now.

• Flx

Disappointing but thanks for testing

• ven98

They will probably add it.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• aks895
    aks895 Member Posts: 38 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Guys watch this video of predator Helios 300, here there is option to over clock!!!!!!!
    https://youtu.be/HITbW7MkpfI
    At time 4:56 you can see the over clock option.
    I have myself tried installing other versions of predator sense but didn't get over clock option.
  • Blancco
    Yes its there but thats the G3-572 its not enabled for the G3-571 yet
  • Anothermbdusted
    Anothermbdusted Member Posts: 1 New User
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FFCug83Ko it works!! in case anyone is still wanting it
  • Skelomorph
    Skelomorph ACE Posts: 463 Pioneer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5FFCug83Ko it works!! in case anyone is still wanting it
    Yes. It was @Red-Sand who made the video, and I made the .bat files that you can download that are found in the description. They must be 'Run as administrator'

Skelo
    Please quote me so I get a notification of your reply!
    If I helped you, like my post and/or select my post as 'Solved'.
    Please put your laptop model in your signature so we can know what device you have.

Product: Acer Predator Helios 300
    Model: G3-571
    "Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened."
    - Dr. Seuss
  • szopin
    szopin Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Yes. It was @Red-Sand who made the video, and I made the .bat files that you can download that are found in the description. They must be 'Run as administrator'

Skelo
    Does this actually work? How much of an improvement does the turbo result in?
  • geekromi
    geekromi Member Posts: 144 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    szopin said:

Skelo
    Does this actually work? How much of an improvement does the turbo result in?

Actually I completely agree with ven98, the Helios 300 has on itself a powerful video card, (at least the 1060), and, being a notebook, the cooling system it,s not the most efficient, actually the temperatures, under heavy load as last generation games can rise up a lot,
    I don't see the point to overclock the gpu just to obtain some more (fews) f.p.s.
    but I understand the curiousity to find out if it's possible to install the full-featured predator sense on G-571 models.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    I did make the video mentioned above and it does work. 

Although I strongly suggest if anyone is going to utilize the registry tweak mentioned above to take a look at all my videos and get your temperatures under control prior to overclocking your system. 

That said, I'm able to maintain 75 C max for both cpu/gpu with turbo enabled on Predator Sense without much effort and the result is an easy method of overclocking for those not familiar with MSI After burner. 

Enjoy ;)
    - Hotel Hero
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    edited June 2018
    For those who are more advanced I strongly suggest checking out my MSI After burner undervolt/overclock profile as it results in much lower temps and greater performance than the desktop varient. 

With the profile(s) in the MSI video in combination with my throttlestop guides I've achieved 68/65 C for cpu/gpu all while reaching scores of 10400+ on firestrike, witcher 3 all ultra at 60 fps with slight dips to 50 fps etc etc.. 

I've also included a profile that maintains 800mV max at 1721mhz clock speed for the GPU, blowing the new "Max Q" GPU performance and voltage ratings away. 

Give it a try... 

https://youtu.be/nYW7ROFx2Kk
    - Hotel Hero