Memory upgrade for Acer Aspire A315-21-95KF

BigBird518
BigBird518 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Is the memory in an Acer Aspire user upgradable, or is it soldered in?

Best Answer

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,089 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi,

It has 4GB on-board(soldered) and a slot for upgrade. You can install a modue of 4GB, 8GB or 16GB in that slot.

• Jhaycee08
    Jhaycee08 Member Posts: 3 New User
    Can upgrade the ram on acer aspire 3 a315-21-95KF or it has a dedicated slot to upgrade ? Thanks for response.
  • Jhaycee08 said:
    Can upgrade the ram on acer aspire 3 a315-21-95KF or it has a dedicated slot to upgrade ? Thanks for response.
    Jhaycee08 said:

Hi,
    Yes, you can. 
  • Jhaycee08
    Is the 6GB ram on-board(soldered) and a slot for upgrade ? on aspire 3 a315-21-95KF. I just want to know if there has a slot for upgrade for RAM ? Thanks
  • Hi,
    If you get this model with 6GB RAM, 4GB on-board memory+ 2GB (Removable) memory. You can upgrade up to 12GB total memory(4GB on-board+8GB).
    So you need to buy a 8GB RAM and replace the 2GB module.
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/aspire-a315-21
  • Jhaycee08
    Thanks a lot for the response.  :)
  • Jhaycee08 said:
    Thanks a lot for the response.  :)
    You are welcome :)
  • berlinchingengoetz
    berlinchingengoetz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I have tried two different 8gb so-dimm  to upgrade the 2gb and each time I get a black screen when I try to boot.   Not even the Acer logo.  Gskill F4-2400C16S-8GRSB AND CRUCIAL  CT4G4SFS624A  I reinstall the 2gb and it boots.  Both Gskill and crucial are known good memory.
  • whycantiregister
    whycantiregister Member Posts: 1 New User
    I ended up buying 4 sticks of 8GB RAM that were "supposed" to work according to the vendors having listed this model as compatible, including the Crucial website.  Fortunately I bought them all on Amazon so returns were easy.  The only one I got to work (the others slowed down the computer to a crawl, and had me repairing Windows in one case) was this one:

ADATA 8GB DDR4 2400MHz (PC4-19200) 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory Module Single Rank (AD4S240038G17-S) 

This was after I educated myself a bit about what the "T" stands for in the original 2GB stick (2400T).  It has to do with timings (different from the CAS latency most often given) and in this case is 17-17-17.  There is a Wiki page on DDR4 SDRAM which has a table which shows all this.  That seemed to be the "crucial" element that needed to be met, at least in the 3 previous sticks I bought which did not work.

Hopefully this will save someone some trouble.  This is the first time I've run into this problem, as I've updated probably 5 or 10 older laptops with additional RAM and SSDs to make them perform like modern laptops for basic tasks.