Acer Predator Helios 300 - Hangs on shutdown

Disturbedman
Disturbedman Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello everyone,

I'm kinda new to all this and never really posted in a community for help because generally i can usually find the solution to my problem online... Well I can't to this one... About 75% of the time when i shut down my laptop it just freezes and the only way i can get it to power off is by holding the power button. I opened the event viewer and the only thing i can see possibly wrong is I get about eight messages of "The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report." for all eight processors. Any idea of some fixes? also a random note is the first time it did this and i turned it back on two of my steam games were randomly uninstalled? I dont know if that was any correlation but I thought it was kinda weird.

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

It is possible that you may have a corrupted system file, which can prevent the proper shutdown of the laptop, or it could also be an error in the hard drive.

You can try running 'sfc /scannow' in command prompt and it will automatically scan and fix system error if there are any. And also run the command 'dskchk'.

You can go in control panel and then in 'view by' choose large icons. After that go in 'troubleshooting' and then click on 'fix problems with windows update'.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

It is possible that you may have a corrupted system file, which can prevent the proper shutdown of the laptop, or it could also be an error in the hard drive.

You can try running 'sfc /scannow' in command prompt and it will automatically scan and fix system error if there are any. And also run the command 'dskchk'.

You can go in control panel and then in 'view by' choose large icons. After that go in 'troubleshooting' and then click on 'fix problems with windows update'.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Disturbedman

I tried all three of your suggestions and here is my results.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. (for the sfc /scannow)

dskchk didnt find anything wrong.

And this is what the fix problems with windows update found.

Issues found

Service registration is missing or corrupt Fixed
    Reset service registration Not run

Potential Windows Update Database error detected Fixed
    Repair Windows Update Database Corruption Completed

Windows Update components must be repaired Fixed
    Repair Windows Update components Not run

Check for pending updates Fixed
    Download and Install pending updates Completed

I'll later reply and tell you if it has fixed my problem. Thank you!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Is your BIOS up to date? What version do you have

• Disturbedman

Yes, my BIOS was up to date. Its been a hot minute since I posted but since I used windows to fix any of my problems it has not had any trouble shutting down. thank you again

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

Disturbedman wrote:

Yes, my BIOS was up to date. Its been a hot minute since I posted but since I used windows to fix any of my problems it has not had any trouble shutting down. thank you again

Glad to hear, enjoy your machine!