acer V nitro 793G unexpected shutdown

Options
geniusacer
geniusacer Member Posts: 5 New User
edited April 2018 in Nitro Gaming

Hello, I have a problem with my acer laptop. Model is VN7-793G. Laptop is 2 weeks old. I have noticed that when it is on battery power, if i move the laptop screen lid it automatically shuts down without any warning, just electrical cut off and I am unable to power on again for several seconds. When it is connected to the ac adapter, problem does not occur. I have read several articles about tightening the screws near the battery pinhole; I did it and it somehow solved the frequent occurance of this problem but sometimes it still does that strange shutdown. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of issue with acer laptop? 

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Apart tightening the screws, we can't suggest anything else apart contacting your seller or Acer support service.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • geniusacer
    geniusacer Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

thank for your answer. I have tried tightening the screws and it helped, however when i move my laptop , or when i place it on my knee , or even move the screen lid it sometimes shuts down. it never happens when plugged in. if the battery is faulty, can a single move cause it to shut down without any warning, or how do you think is that more related to battery safety switch?

thank you so much

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

can be the safety switch or the battery plug itself, that's why i suggested you to contact your seller or Acer support service.

i think your laptop need to be opened and checked.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • XavierR
    XavierR Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

While this seems pretty straightforward I just wanted to let anyone who may be viewing this know that I also have been having this issue (purchased mine brand new about two weeks ago, same model). It's not as severe but definetly an issue since I move my laptop around alot. Again, just want to bring it to the attention of Acer that this isn't just an issue with this one guy.

Having said that, I just tighten the screws? I didn't see the same articles you did when I searched. I'm in college and didn't think to bring a screwdriver with me so I'll have to wait to try it out but hopefully that'll quell the issue.

• KiKoS
    KiKoS Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited March 2018
    Options
    I'm having the same issue here with my 3 weeks brand new acer nitro 5 and please can i get some updates if anyone fixed their problem and how because nothing seems to work for me (tightened the screws,battery reset,bios,...) ? thanks.
  • DJSheridan
    DJSheridan Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I have only just bought my Acer Nitro 5 yesterday (Thursday 5th April 2018) and after setting up as recommended (power adapter before switching on) I updated all windows updates, etc.
    Then this morning i have had this unexpected shutdown happen to me 5 times whilst on battery.  It sounds and acts like it would when you do a hard reset (push and hold power button)...
    After a search on web I came across many people having this issue with this model.
    Needless to say these fixes everyone states on here does not alter the fact that there must be an issue with the unit if many of us have this problem.  Acer need to get this fixed or offer compensation or free replacement of corrected model.
    I'm going to go back to where i bought it and state the problem and try to get my money back for selling faulty goods.
  • geniusace
    geniusace Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    KiKoS said:
    I'm having the same issue here with my 3 weeks brand new acer nitro 5 and please can i get some updates if anyone fixed their problem and how because nothing seems to work for me (tightened the screws,battery reset,bios,...) ? thanks.
    I had the same problem, I was tightening the screws and it worked for a day but the solution is to find the alternate screw, I have removed the original screw and have applied another same model screw and it fixed a problem, after that I did not have this problem :):):) 
  • geniusace
    geniusace Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have only just bought my Acer Nitro 5 yesterday (Thursday 5th April 2018) and after setting up as recommended (power adapter before switching on) I updated all windows updates, etc.
    Then this morning i have had this unexpected shutdown happen to me 5 times whilst on battery.  It sounds and acts like it would when you do a hard reset (push and hold power button)...
    After a search on web I came across many people having this issue with this model.
    Needless to say these fixes everyone states on here does not alter the fact that there must be an issue with the unit if many of us have this problem.  Acer need to get this fixed or offer compensation or free replacement of corrected model.
    I'm going to go back to where i bought it and state the problem and try to get my money back for selling faulty goods.
    I had the same problem, I was tightening the screws and it worked for a day but the solution is to find the alternate screw, I have removed the original screw and have applied another same model screw and it fixed a problem, after that I did not have this problem :):):) 
  • mark8401
    mark8401 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    The problem came from Windows10 itself. The cause of unexpected shutdown is Windows 10 try to turn on nvidia gpu, when you open some application such as;

-Right click on desktop
    -Left click on battery-icon in task-bar
    -Opening Chrome-browser
    -Opening Windows Image Viewer (app + -classic Foto viewer)
    -Opening system control panel
    -Provocation any animation on task bar (e.g. thumbnail-preview, ...)
    -Loading a new tab in Firefox

This is my own solutions, which is working for me.

*Go to : NVIDIA Control Panel >
    *Click : Manage 3Dsettings >
    *Click : Global Settings menu > 
    *Under Prefer graphics processor : Select   > Integrated graphics >
    *Click : Apply 

*Go to : Program settings (next to Global Settings menu) >
    *Under "Select a program to customize"  :  select program (only that you want to use NVIDIA gpu) >
    *Select : High-performance NVIDIA processor (under 2. Select the preferred graphics......)
    * Click : Apply

!!!! I am not sure whether to change "Set PhysX Configuration" to CPU or not! !!!
    But my aspire vn7-793g-726a, works fine with PhysX = CPU
    The last way out is reset the battery : find the hole under your laptop > insert paper clip and hold down for 5 seconds. 

• Shuhari
    Shuhari Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Old thread but nevertheless....Bought the laptop a few months back and had the same issue and found that its not due to OS or screws or anything else, but a small soft-cushion plastic part, that is sticked to the bottom plate of the laptop and pinning down the battery breaker. This plastic is not hard enough and sinks in over time, exactly where it pushes down the breaker. 
    Solution is to either completely replace that part with something else that is harder or just glue something below that part so that it extends further up. This will assure the battery breaker to be pushed all the time.

@Acer: This is a bad design. You should have placed the battery breaker on the sides of the motherboard, where the bending of the thin bottom cover is not that extreme when moving the laptop. On this model its nearly in the middle and as this is a heavy laptop, when moving the cover bends quite a bit on the middle. Fortunately there are easy workarounds, but it requires opening the laptop.

• OmarShehe
    OmarShehe Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited March 2020
    Options
    How do you solve this problem?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    OmarShehe said:
    How do you solve this problem?

If you have a question or a problem then please start a Topic of your own and give details along with your exact model number, thankyou

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ProfessorDomme
    ProfessorDomme Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Shuhari said:
    Old thread but nevertheless....Bought the laptop a few months back and had the same issue and found that its not due to OS or screws or anything else, but a small soft-cushion plastic part, that is sticked to the bottom plate of the laptop and pinning down the battery breaker. This plastic is not hard enough and sinks in over time, exactly where it pushes down the breaker. 
    Solution is to either completely replace that part with something else that is harder or just glue something below that part so that it extends further up. This will assure the battery breaker to be pushed all the time.

@Acer: This is a bad design. You should have placed the battery breaker on the sides of the motherboard, where the bending of the thin bottom cover is not that extreme when moving the laptop. On this model its nearly in the middle and as this is a heavy laptop, when moving the cover bends quite a bit on the middle. Fortunately there are easy workarounds, but it requires opening the laptop.

Thank you very much! This was the fix! mine had a huge dent in it and shut off very freuqeuntly...