Predator G3-710 to have Samsung 960 EVO SSD

sillraim
sillraim Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi there,

I have bought a Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSD memory to replace the smaller SSD in the mother board. To clone the current SSD content I have the DELOCK adapter and Samsung Data Migration software for Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSD. I put the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSD into that adapter and the adapter then to the place of existing SATA HDD. I started Samsung Data Migration software but that software wouldn't recognize the Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSD. How to solve problem? Please help. Thanks!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

had you try to switch the 2 SSD?

so we stock SSD will use the adapter.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sillraim

Thanks for answer. Please explain some more because I didn't get the point...

• IronFly

you plugged the new samsung SSD to a SATA adapter and it's not recognised by Samsung software; have you tried to put the old SSD on the SATA adapter and the Samsung SSD on the correct slot (i suppose NVMe)?

• sillraim

No, I haven't tried. Should it be possible to boot the computer if the old SSD is in the SATA adapter?

• IronFly

i think it's possible if the adapter works.

• Ingrid1990
    Ingrid1990 Member Posts: 21 Networker

So the Windows recognize your Samsung SSD and SDM does not? If you connect the SSD via USB-to-SATA cable, try different USB port. Or, connect the Samsung SSD to another computer to test. 

• sillraim

Hi there,

thanks a lot for the tips. I took out the LITE-ON SSD from it's place and put into the DELOCK SATA-adapter and put the empty Samsung 960 Evo to it's place. I booted computer normally and used Samsung Data Migration software. Everything seemed to be ok but then I found that for some reason(s) there were two missing or corrupted .dll files. The Acer Predator g3-710 booted normally but due to the missing .dlls it was not functioning as wanted. After that I wanted to repeat the Data Migration but then I met the problem, I didn't found the way how to 1) define to BIOS that I want to boot from the original LITE-ON instead of Samsung or 2) empty Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD for repeat the same procedure I did before. Now the situation is that Samsung 960 Evo 500GB SSD is in the mother board, Acer Predator g3-710 is booting normally but due to missing .dlls is is not functioning properly. Please help! Thanks

• IronFly

since the main port is where the Samsung SSD is now, the BIOS will always boot from it as first bootable device by default.

keep in mind that having the same windows OS installation on 2 drivers is not a good thing.

by the way, you can try to enable F12 key on BIOS (boot menu), then press F10 to save and exit.

at next boot press F12 key and then check if the Lite on is available as bootable device.

• sillraim

Thanks! I didn't find F12 option in BIOS boot menu. Does it mean that I should update BIOS? Please advice me. Thanks.

• IronFly

the option has a different label on your model and it's under BootOptions, it's Boot Menu and must be enabled.

once it's enabled your will be able to use F12 to bring up the boot menu at boot.

• sillraim

It is, and it has been enabled!

• IronFly

ok, press F12 at next boot and check if you are able to select the EVO or the other SSD as bootable device.

• sillraim

Thanks again! What is the biggest risk when I have same windows OS installation on 2 drivers?

• IronFly

that you will not be able one of them.

• sillraim

The risk you mentioned realized. And now I am in trouble!

• sillraim

Fortunately I was wrong. I have still possibility to boot from LITEON. Now the content of LITEON 128GB is copied to Samsung 960 EVO 512GB by Samsung's Data Migration. But the thing is that ID of Samsung SSD is Disk 1 instead of Disk 0 or C and it is not bootable. Is there any possibility to erase or clean Samsung SSD to start from scratch? Thanks.

• IronFly

just format it from windows

windows logo key + x

disk management

right click on the Samsung (Disk1) and choose to format it or delete each partition