Helios 300 15, is there a way to completely disable the intel GPU?

iceman0124
iceman0124 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 2018 in Predator Laptops

I seldom use this machine on battery and thats unlikely to change, preferably I would like to disable the iGPU while plugged in ,and use it exclusively on battery. I would however settle on using the GTX 1060 exclusively.

Primary reason is the sub par screen these ship with, a light touch of the Nvidia Digital Vibrance control can really help a semi blah screen....however I cant use it as the igpu runs the desktop....the color controls on the igpu arent very good....any noticable change is a bad one to my eyes, I've searched around and cant find a way to do this, any ideas?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder

I think there should an option in the BIOS which lets you enable and disable the integrated graphics.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• iceman0124

Tinkerer

There are VERY few user definable options in the bios, I havent seen any in regard to GPU at all.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    If you can't find such an option in regard to enabling/disabling the iGPU in BIOS, I guess you cannot disable it permanently.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

I don't think you can, I tried disabling the IGPU and it still wouldn't use NVIDIA so I think all video is routed through the IGPU no matter what in the end.

• beststevie
    beststevie ACE Posts: 506 Pioneer
    You could use the settings in Predator Sense and enable the option "...use external Graphics only". As there is no option in Bios, this should be the only way.
  • iceman0124

Tinkerer

Predatpr sense is extremly limited for this model, screen shot attatched, to my knowledge thats all there is, if I wrong please let me knowps.png

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon

No you are correct, for the Helios 300 there isn't much Psense functionality.

Edit: I forgot I tweaked my intel HD colors because I wasn't satisfied with the original set up and it really makes the screen pop now. If you want to try it go to your intel HD panel, display, then color settings. Mine are:
    Brightness: 15

Contrast: 48

Hue: 0

Saturation: 52

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    I just thought I'd add to this if anyone else is looking.

I know someone who has an unlocked BIOs of the Helios and the setting to disable intel GPU and use only Nvidia causes a black screen.

This means the nvidia gpu uses the intel gpu as a type of server to output to the monitor display.

This also explains why performance in games/benches is increased when using an external display with the laptop display turned off, as the intel gpu will cause a bottleneck to the performance of the nvidia gpu.
    - Hotel Hero
  • Squids
    Squids Member Posts: 3 New User

So what am I meant to do if my PC switches to IGPU mid-gaming regularly (some games almost definitely, i.e. OW2), and visibally the only solution is disabling the Intel graphics?