major bug aspire z3-451

Options
open_enli
open_enli Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

sorry, please wait, accidentally clicked post.

i ran into a major bios bug just now. searching through the internet it seems the aspire z3-451 is only available in indonesia. yeah, im from indo but have been around the world, and i feel more comfortable using english.

my laptop is still around 9 months under warranty, i have not touched the insides at all. theres also no support page for my laptop listed here. warranty page is just fine.

i bought this laptop a few months back and had no issue whatsoever, until just now. i setup a bios supervisor and user password, both using the same thing. it took me a few reboots until i actually got through. i dont know if caps/numlock were on during booting, but since ive used a computer since win95, ive never seen this before. the 'poweroff' seemed to fix the issue for now.

my current os installed are 64 win10, manjaro and debian sid. i highly doubt any os will even touch bios settings without any warnings. i have broken my systems too many times, but ill never play with hardware and especially bios related stuff.

with linux i setup efibootmgr to launch (in order) debian, manjaro then win10. sometimes it doesnt work so i spam f12 (efi boot menu thing) and manually pick debian. this bug didnt register the f12, and i went straight into the password box. 3 'incorrect' passwords and it locks. after trying a few times with different combinations of caps and numlock, i just cant get through. then finally, the f12 boot menu works. i can verify all of my hardware keys work since i use all of them, and also manually checking them in apps. ive also rebooted many times after this issue and can verify the f12 boot menu does work.

some basic bios info

secure/fastboot off

os choice, other

boot priority hd, usb fdd, all else empty

only mouse is plugged in, everything else is out

anyone else ever had this bug? i hope there are going to be official replies from acer.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>i bought this laptop a few months back and had no issue whatsoever, until just now. i setup a bios supervisor and user password, both using the same thing. it took me a few reboots until i actually got through.>>>

What did you actually get thru to? The BIOS menu? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• open_enli
    open_enli Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

its all fine for now, i just have no idea when it might pop up again. couldnt dig up any info anywhere else, desk/laptop related. there are some stories about an updated bios that messed up the password, now im not sure what i want O.o

as a side note the supervisor/user passwords were set on day 1 of buying the laptop. no major changes within manjaro and debian sid which points to boot/bios related stuff, its also been a few weeks since i used win10. no crashes on either manjaro nor sid. i also dont use the laptop without the ac, an old school habit of mine when i used to unplug the bats on older laptops.

since that was a very scary experience, i decided to remove the passwords. a major downside is whomever steals my laptop gets a freebie.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,592 Trailblazer
    Options

>>> i decided to remove the passwords.>>>

That would've been my next suggestion. So I think you made the correct decision. One less complication. I would also suggest NOT trying to change the BIOS firmware unless you're 100% sure that it addresses what seems to be a minor annoyance at this point. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• rajeshkarande
    rajeshkarande Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    can i boot  window 7 in acer aspire z3 451 by usb
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,816 Trailblazer
    Options
    @rajeshkarande please start a new thread with your question. It's somewhat unlikely that there are all the drivers needed to run Windows 7 on your model.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.