Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM SSD upgrade

Options
Mike89
Mike89 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi -- I'm looking to buy the Acer Aspire E 15 E5-575-33BM laptop. These are the specs:

Intel Core i3-7100U Processor 7th Generation
4GB DDR4
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive

The laptop has an extra slot for an m.2 SSD, so I'll be buying a 250GB SSD to install. I'd like to know:

Should I install the SSD before I turn on the computer or after?

I've read that once the SSD is installed, I would need to clone the Windows 10 OS to the SSD. I plan to use EaseUS Todo Backup to do this. Seeing as this will be a new computer, will this be a fairly straightforward process? For example, would I need a Windows system repair disk or anything like that?

RELATED QUESTION: I'll also be buying an extra 4GB of RAM. I'd like to know:

Should I install the RAM before I turn on the computer or after?

I appreciate any and all guidance. Thanks in advance.

Mike

P.S. here's a link to the laptop: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Processor-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Answers

• Grizzlys2k
    Grizzlys2k Member Posts: 5 New User
    Options

Well if you buy the laptop with Windows preinstalled...it doesnt really matter when you install the RAM before or after yuo turn it on...becuase its alreadt configured for the 4GB of RAM you already have...you will have to do reconfiguring for 8GB of RAM in windows memory management.or just check to see if its done automaticaly by default.

Yes you will need to clone your Windows operating system to the SSD....for faster performance...and to do that it doesnt matter when you insert the M.2 SSD....becuase windows will boot from your HDD...and you will need to clone it from there....or 2nd method...to remove the HDD from it...and clone it in another computer to the SSD..

Good luck!

• Mike89
    Mike89 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hi Grizzlys2K -- Thanks for your guidance. Can I do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD and then format the HDD to wipe it clean? Here's what I was considering:

Boot up the laptop to make sure it works and to activate and register the OS license.

Power if off.

Install the SSD

Boot the laptop and make sure the SSD is being detected by the BIOS

Download and clean install Windows 10 on the SSD

Format the HDD

Will that work?

NOTE: I don't plan to buy the additional 4GB of RAM until after get the laptop and open it up. That way I can make sure I order a similar RAM stick. So I'll probably be installing the RAM a week or so after I buy the laptop. I'll be buying the SSD the same time as the computer and installing it the same day.

• dougc
    dougc Member Posts: 82 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

If allowed to mention vendors (Canadian), which sell this laptop model mentioned within this thread ?

If not allowed to name specific . . . .  any vendors in Canada ?

Thanks Smiley Happy

doug c