Spin 5 bluetooth problem

Fogg
Fogg Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

I have a Spin 5 model SP513-51-79LN and at the beginning (one month) all went fine. At some point in time I removed some defaut applications from Acer as I was not using it - don't know if it causes something.

The problem is that I use a bluetooth mouse and the bluetooth is deactivated. I did nothing to deactivate.

In the Configuration Panel there is no button to activate Bluetooth as the PC was not detected having bluetooth anymore.

Searching forums, I found (hardly) some answer with a link to the driver files (Atheros bluetooth driver). I reinstalled the driver and the bluetooth was activated again. I worked some days having no problem.

Now I restarted the PC and the bluetooth is inactive again. I tried to reinstall the driver as I have done previously but it does not change anything, the Bluetooth is not detected and so I have no access to any parameter in the Configuration Panel.

Is there any ACER application that I could install and which allows to switch on the Bluetooth interface ?

Or do I have to do something else ? I really need my mouse to work.

Thank you

Best Answer

• Fogg
    Answer ✓

Hi Elise,

Finally I was able to make it work properly but it was a little bit tricky.

First, I re-installed an older version of the driver for Qualcomm Atheros. With this version it was still not working but as the driver was old, it should be updated.

Then, I let Windows find a more recent driver and I installed this one (given by Windows Update itself).

With this driver, everything works fine and I had no more problems with the Bluetooth interface.

Hope this helps.

ps: it would be fine if Acer gives the latest (working) driver on the support website.

Answers

• Elise_
    Elise_ Member Posts: 2 New User

I'm having this same problem, first time I restarted and it came back, now I'm at a loss.  I started a week ago with this problem, I've had my acer for a few months.

• Fogg
    Answer ✓

Hi Elise,

Finally I was able to make it work properly but it was a little bit tricky.

First, I re-installed an older version of the driver for Qualcomm Atheros. With this version it was still not working but as the driver was old, it should be updated.

Then, I let Windows find a more recent driver and I installed this one (given by Windows Update itself).

With this driver, everything works fine and I had no more problems with the Bluetooth interface.

Hope this helps.

ps: it would be fine if Acer gives the latest (working) driver on the support website.

• Elise_
    Elise_ Member Posts: 2 New User
    I'll try that.. thank you so much Fogg!! wish me luck.
  • ascertain
    ascertain Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

I've just been through my second round of bluetooth problems. Support previously had me reinstall the drivers but that did nothing. They suggested reinstalling the operating system but that didn't make sense to me. There was no bluetooth listed in the Device Manager. If the system isn't even seeing the hardware, I doubted that the drivers could be the problem. The device manager usually shows a problem device even if it doesn't know what that device is. They suggested I reinstall the operating system. But before that happened, bluetooth returned.

The loss of bluetooth came with an problem in a usb connection in the device manager. When bluetooth came back that usb problem was gone. While the bluetooth didn't work, Qualcomm combo card wireless continued to work with wifi. Somehow the bluetooth is routed through usb. Anyway after fighting with it again today it came back, but only after shutting the computer down: reboots didn't do it. What some people on web have theorized is that firmware has to be loaded before the computer communicates with bluetooth and if that doesn't happen it makes for a dead device. Shutting down completely and then booting up changes the time sequence enough to get it right.

I'll have to wait until it fails again to test the theory. If people are having the same problem and that procedure works, please let others know here in the forum. Other suggestions were to uninstall the problem usb device, reboot and then have the system reinstall the hardware. I'd do the first option first.