Skype video lag in Acer Spin 3, i5 6200

Options
Ricketts223
Ricketts223 Member Posts: 9 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi everyone:

(Acer Spin 3, i5 6200, 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 520) When in a Skype call, the video drifts...it starts out slightly behind the audio, then lags more and more, until it is 7 seconds behind the audio. Suddenly the video jerks and catches up again, then starts to drift again, until it is 7 seconds behind again. This drift/lag/catch-up/drift/lag/catch-up continues through the whole call.

My network speeds are OK, I have a Dell Venue 11 Pro that I also Skype on and it works OK, so I know it must be my Acer laptop. I am Skyping with the same person using their same laptop each time, so it's not their end. I can switch to the Dell tablet and its good, switch to the Acer and it drifts.

I've tried both the built in Skype for Windows 10 app and also the Windows for Desktop app and it acts the same on both.

I'm just curious what I should check in the laptop? Everything else works great, there doesn't seem to be any resource hogs when I check out processes through Task Manager.

Any ideas would be really wonderful - thanks,

Rick

Answers

• pipoy
    pipoy Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Do this again and the next time, right click on the task bar and open up task manager

Let me us know which hardware is mostly at full

• Ricketts223
    Options

Do you mean what processes are running? I opened up task manager tonight during a Skype call and Chrome was using up most of the resources. I closed Chrome down but there was no change. My Skype iss still drifting. It's just weird. Everything else seems to work fine on this machine, except Skype. I switch to my Dell Venue 11 Pro and Skype works fine. Every time.

• pipoy
    Options

No.

Let me know which of the CPU, Ram, Disk are at 100% or whatever.

If those are not fully utilized, then I guess my next suggestion nis to reinstall skype

• Ricketts223
    Options

My CPU was around 10%, RAM was 44% (dropped to 28% when I killed off chrome) and my Hard drive was 10% as well. I had Skype for Desktop installed, then removed it and tried the built in Skype for Windows 10 - they both do it. 

• Ricketts223
    Options

Would the Intel HD Graphics driver have anything to do with it? The Intel Driver Update utility says I'm 2 versions behind in graphics drivers. My old Dell Venue 11 Pro has an even older HD graphics driver but it works fine

• pipoy
    Options

I highly doubt it is

Have you tried reinstalling skype?

I would also try to update your wifi adaptor and camera drivers because those 2 are being used by skype.

• Ricketts223
    Options

Reinstalled Skype last night, will update when I do another call. Might be a few days however. I'll look at the wifi adapter driver, but camera driver would cause an issue on their end right? I'm in sync on their end.

• Ricketts223
    Options

Well, so re-installing Skype did the trick, I think. I did a call tonight and the video only had a slight (less than 1 second) lag, and it didn't drift as it did before.

Just seems weird though. I did not use the built in Skype for windows right away...I installed Skype for desktop. When I noticed the problem I uninstalled it and used the built in Skype for Windows. When that didn't work I re-installed Skype for desktop and now it seems good.

Fingers crossed that it solved the problem!

Thanks for the help Pipoy Smiley Happy

• Ricketts223
    Options

Well, failure...it continues to do it, even with the fresh Skype install. I am at a loss. I'll look at the wifi drivers later I guess. Not sure why it worked fine last night, then acted exactly the same as before tonight. 

• P3RS0NN
    P3RS0NN Member Posts: 32 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Try updating all your drivers, just in case :smile: