G3-571 CPU overclocking

AsumaDabs
AsumaDabs Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

When I selected this rig out on Amazon it says that the processor can be overclocked. However when I went hunting through the Acer support I found a random page that says this model cannot be overclocked throught Predator Sense.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the right software or let me know why this is?

The only program that I have used for overclocking was for my desktop and is the Asus turboboost which was a very simple and easy to use. It had a automatic "envelope pushing" type set up that you just stopped once you were happy with it.

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

3.8 is the highest it can go on a single core I believe. I get your analogy, wish it was easy as a tune to get 200hp reliably (maybe on a Turbo Diesel or something). Makes sense you just want to squeeze the most out of your processor.

Answers

• Dariusdd
    Dariusdd Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter

No matter what you do, the intel i7 7700HQ cannot be overclocked. I do not own that particular model, but I am pretty certain that the GPU is overclockable.

• Flx

Curious why exactly do you want to overclock? The i7 is pretty strong on it's own

• AsumaDabs

Why does it say up to 3.8 with Turbo?

As far as why would I want to overclock, I feel like that's a simple answer. If you have a car with 400 hp and all you have to do to get 600 hp is get it tuned why would you not?

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Flx
    Answer ✓

3.8 is the highest it can go on a single core I believe. I get your analogy, wish it was easy as a tune to get 200hp reliably (maybe on a Turbo Diesel or something). Makes sense you just want to squeeze the most out of your processor.

• AsumaDabs
    That's what I've been reading but it seems kind of redundant to me.

So I can get 3.8 out of a single core when it's not under stress but when I would need 3.8 is when it is under stress.

So as long as I'm doing something that doesn't require any power it runs at a higher Ghz with less cores. So Intel can say it has "potentially" 3.8Ghz?

That's cool I guess?

Seems like Intel is playing with a line for false advertising to me
  • Flx

AsumaDabs wrote:
    That's what I've been reading but it seems kind of redundant to me.

So I can get 3.8 out of a single core when it's not under stress but when I would need 3.8 is when it is under stress.

So as long as I'm doing something that doesn't require any power it runs at a higher Ghz with less cores. So Intel can say it has "potentially" 3.8Ghz?

That's cool I guess?

Seems like Intel is playing with a line for false advertising to me

Yep marketing and advertising gotta love it (not). Seems to be the norm these days for most companies.

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Single core frequency is usually higher, so you don't have any problems running simple tasks, which require only 1 core. The speed for 4 cores is usually x4 lower (4x100MHz) and for 2 cores (2x100MHz), because of course when you have more cores running the heat generated will be more.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx

ven98 wrote:
    Single core frequency is usually higher, so you don't have any problems running simple tasks, which require only 1 core. The speed for 4 cores is usually x4 lower (4x100MHz) and for 2 cores (2x100MHz), because of course when you have more cores running the heat generated will be more.

Yea that makes sense, max 4 core is 3.4 and 2 core is 3.5 for this i7

• iamtib555
    iamtib555 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Was reading through all your comments and its weird coz i got my helios 300 g3-571 just yesterday and i was so excited that i forgot to check it at the store while they were setting it up and its actually an i5-7th gen, only 4gbs of ram and doesnt have an SSD. Now on the reviews i saw you can overclock the cpu with predator sense, but i dont have the option on mine yet i have the current version of predator sense. Can anybody help with that? Been searching online about this before i went here.
  • Dinomite07
    Dinomite07 Member Posts: 45 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    iamtib555 said:
    Was reading through all your comments and its weird coz i got my helios 300 g3-571 just yesterday and i was so excited that i forgot to check it at the store while they were setting it up and its actually an i5-7th gen, only 4gbs of ram and doesnt have an SSD. Now on the reviews i saw you can overclock the cpu with predator sense, but i dont have the option on mine yet i have the current version of predator sense. Can anybody help with that? Been searching online about this before i went here.
    There is no overclocking on the g3-571.