Predator Helios 300 Nvidia drivers not working only Intel HD drivers work

Options
Subie
Subie Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

I was wondering how do I set main video driver to use the Nvidia drivers instead of the Intels HD drivers? I updated BIOS to 1.05, Disabled auto update in hardware settings, installed latests Nvidia drivers also. I am lost on what to do? lol

Another wierd thing i notice it state windows 7 on the back up and restore? This is a brand new laptop I bought from Amazon two days ago. But it state I have windows 10?! Anyone elses new Helios 300 bought from Amazon have the same issues as me?

Pictures of the Nvidia control panel
Pictures Display adapter settings

Untitled.pngUntitled.pngUntitled1.png

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do this before you return it, open NVIDIA control panel and look up at the top bar where it says Desktop and click on that, then click 'Display GPU activity in notification area'. When you do this a little black square with lines/dots should pop up in your taskbar in the lower right hand side (if you can't see it then click on the arrow pointing up and it should be there) when you hover your mouse over the icon it should say GTX 1060 (Inactive). Launch a game, then alt-tab out and check the black square in the taskbar; it should turn multicolored which indicates your Nvidia card is running, you can also hover over the icon to see what program are using it. If the square is still black after launching a game and it still says inactive then yea you definitely have a problem.

Also the screen resolution thing is perfectly normal, your integrated GPU handles everything not related to gaming while the Nvidia takes care of the hard work. The difference is your desktop is only using one GPU (nvidia card I am assuming by your statement) whereas the laptop is utilizing two gpu's to effectively do the same thing; reasons being battery life/heat etc.

Answers

• Flx
    Options

Yea mine also has Win 7 back up, Nothing really to worry about. I did a little digging and it just appears to be a leftover from win 7. Heres a quote from an article:

Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Microsoft also kept the old Backup and Restore feature from Windows 7 around. It was available in Windows 8, removed in Windows 8.1, and is back in Windows 10. The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tool allows you to restore any of your old Windows 7 backups onto your Windows 10 computer—likely why the tool is still around—but you can also use it to back up your Windows 10 PC in the exact same way you’d back up a Windows 7 PC.

Unlike the newer File History backup solution, you can use Backup and Restore to more easily create a backup of practically everything on your hard drive. However, it also does not feature File History’s ability to maintain older versions of your files.

As far as the GPU driver thing: Your laptop has two GPU's, an intel HD 630 and NVIDIA GTX 1060. When browsing or using the laptop under normal circumstances the laptop will use the HD 630 to save power/heat. When you launch a game, your laptop should auto detect this and automatically switch to the Nvidia card. You can check this by going into Nvidia control panel, clicking on "Manage 3d Settings' and under "Global Settings" tab there should be a little drop down box that says 'Auto Select' which means your laptop will auto detect which card to use.

• Subie
    Options

Nice. Thanks. I will test it out. How's the light bleed on yours? IMG_20170713_091548.jpg

• Flx
    Options

Mine has little to no light bleed, one splotch at the bottom and one at the top. It isn't noticeable at all when gaming even on darker games/screens.

• Subie
    Options

Just tried black desert online! nothing states that the laptop are using the nvidia drivers Smiley Sad I guess I will return this one and get a replacement and see if its any different! My desktop computer in the nvidia control panel i can change screen resolution but this i can't and only can do so with the intel hd drivers.

• Flx
    Answer ✓
    Options

Do this before you return it, open NVIDIA control panel and look up at the top bar where it says Desktop and click on that, then click 'Display GPU activity in notification area'. When you do this a little black square with lines/dots should pop up in your taskbar in the lower right hand side (if you can't see it then click on the arrow pointing up and it should be there) when you hover your mouse over the icon it should say GTX 1060 (Inactive). Launch a game, then alt-tab out and check the black square in the taskbar; it should turn multicolored which indicates your Nvidia card is running, you can also hover over the icon to see what program are using it. If the square is still black after launching a game and it still says inactive then yea you definitely have a problem.

Also the screen resolution thing is perfectly normal, your integrated GPU handles everything not related to gaming while the Nvidia takes care of the hard work. The difference is your desktop is only using one GPU (nvidia card I am assuming by your statement) whereas the laptop is utilizing two gpu's to effectively do the same thing; reasons being battery life/heat etc.

• SFM_Bryan
    SFM_Bryan Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Mine did this while opening up the new south park game that just came out, "The Fractured But Whole." It would run the game at low framerate and I would wonder what the heck was going on because that game shouldn't be that taxing on a GTX 1060. So what I had to do was go into the game's folder where it installed, right click the .exe of the game in there and it had an option for what GPU to run the game with and I chose the GTX1060 of course. When I saw that worked I put that executable in my desktop and took off the original executable it created and that's it. So I am guessing there will be some things that aren't too graphically intensive that the Laptop will say "oh I can run this with Intel graphics" because it's a machine and it doesn't know any better, so you will have to tell it what to do. Hope this helps.

• SFM_Bryan
    Options

Mine did this while opening up the new south park game that just came out, "The Fractured But Whole." It would run the game at low framerate and I would wonder what the heck was going on because that game shouldn't be that taxing on a GTX 1060. So what I had to do was go into the game's folder where it installed, right click the .exe of the game in there and it had an option for what GPU to run the game with and I chose the GTX1060 of course. When I saw that worked I put that executable in my desktop and took off the original executable it created and that's it. So I am guessing there will be some things that aren't too graphically intensive that the Laptop will say "oh I can run this with Intel graphics" because it's a machine and it doesn't know any better, so you will have to tell it what to do. Hope this helps.

• SFM_Bryan
    Options

Your light bleed is pretty bad, mine is only in the top middle and very small I hit the lottery with this one lol.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Flx
    Options

SFM_Bryan, go into your NVIDIA control panel and then to "Manage 3d Settings" and under the 'Global Settings' tab there will be a drop down box that says "Preferred Graphics Processor" and put it to Auto-Select. This will let the laptop determine which GPU to use for what task. Also, under 'Manage 3d Settings' you can go to "Program Settings" tab and set South Park to use the 1060 from there if desired.

• Mussie
    Mussie Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi guys
    I'm new for Accer Predator Helios 300 . I'm in Ethiopia and a friend bout me from amazon with its driver GTX 1060-6GB is installed. But when I installed architectural rendering software Lumiun-8 ; it says very low graphics.
    The software recommend dedicated video graphics of 4GB but the Pc has 6GB. Why it couldn't detect the graphics?
    Thanks

• Nderim
    Nderim Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Acer Predator Helios 300 G3-572   / I have problem with Nvidia Inactive i cant play game / just intel work     ... please help me...