MicroSD not recognized via built-in reader and 128GB only. Works via USB adapter - Chromebook R13

bc4f9825
bc4f9825 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2017 in Chromebooks

Hi!

my CB version CB5-312T-K8V3

the ChromeOs version(recovery) is ELM D4A-A2A-G5A-A62

I found a strange behaviour on my Acer Chromebook R13. I bought a micro sd card (Sandisk Ultra 128GB) and it's working fine when I connect it to the USB 3.0 port with the USB adapter. It's recognized as the vfat (formatted on Chromebook via USB adapter) or fuseblk (formatted on Windows via USB adapter or Android phone which is the NTFS filesystem type). 

/dev/sda                vfat     124838112       32 124838080   1% /media/removable/UNTITLED
/dev/sda                fuseblk  124868604    91592 124777012   1% /media/removable/UNTITLED

When I put this micro sd card into the built-in card reader, it shows me a message that the device is not recognized and suggests formatting.
When I click the button to format it I am getting a message "Aw snap! There was an error during formatting" . 
I also tried with using the micro sd card in my DSLR, dashcam, Android phone. All work fine, this is read by a Windows PC (via the SD adapter) with no problem.

I would think that something is wrong with the MicroSD reader in my Chromebook, but when I checked 32GB MicroSD there is no problem (formatted as FAT32). Okay, so maybe CB is not reading filesystem storages other than FAT32 (support up to 32 GB)? 
Not really. When I try with another 64GB MicroSD (Samsung evo+), CB recognizes it properly when using both built-in card reader and USB (via adapter).

card reader:
/dev/mmcblk1p1          fuseblk   62504960 26672128  35832832  43% /media/removable/SD Card
USB slot:
/dev/sda1               fuseblk   62504960 26672128  35832832  43% /media/removable/SD Card

The Samsung 64GB is probably NTFS filesystem.
For a short moment, I was wondering if the adapter (micro sd to regular sd or to USB) can change the way it sees the MicroSD card, this doesn't stick to any logical explanation.

When running lsblk, I see only the device (no partition was created)
mmcblk1       179:64   0 119.1G  0 disk 

Any ideas why I have the issue with the 128GB card and how to get this working properly?

I would appreciate any help, I need to decide if it's better to downgrade this 128GB storage to 64GB version as I have the USB slot mostly occupied and I prefer to use MicroSD built-in reader for the cards.

Answers

• bc4f9825
    bc4f9825 Member Posts: 2 New User

Update: I returned the microsd card and got 2x64GB for the same price. 64GB (SanDisk Ultra) have no such issues.

• RobGal
    RobGal Member Posts: 1 New User
    bc4f9825 said: "When I put this micro sd card into the built-in card reader, it shows me a message that the device is not recognized and suggests formatting.  When I click the button to format it I am getting a message "Aw snap! There was an error during formatting" .

I get the same message using a SD 64Gb card.  what were you able to do to correct this situation?

Hi!

my CB version CB5-312T-K8V3

the ChromeOs version(recovery) is ELM D4A-A2A-G5A-A62

I found a strange behaviour on my Acer Chromebook R13. I bought a micro sd card (Sandisk Ultra 128GB) and it's working fine when I connect it to the USB 3.0 port with the USB adapter. It's recognized as the vfat (formatted on Chromebook via USB adapter) or fuseblk (formatted on Windows via USB adapter or Android phone which is the NTFS filesystem type). 

/dev/sda                vfat     124838112       32 124838080   1% /media/removable/UNTITLED
    /dev/sda                fuseblk  124868604    91592 124777012   1% /media/removable/UNTITLED

When I put this micro sd card into the built-in card reader, it shows me a message that the device is not recognized and suggests formatting.
    When I click the button to format it I am getting a message "Aw snap! There was an error during formatting" . 
    I also tried with using the micro sd card in my DSLR, dashcam, Android phone. All work fine, this is read by a Windows PC (via the SD adapter) with no problem.

I would think that something is wrong with the MicroSD reader in my Chromebook, but when I checked 32GB MicroSD there is no problem (formatted as FAT32). Okay, so maybe CB is not reading filesystem storages other than FAT32 (support up to 32 GB)? 
    Not really. When I try with another 64GB MicroSD (Samsung evo+), CB recognizes it properly when using both built-in card reader and USB (via adapter).

card reader:
    /dev/mmcblk1p1          fuseblk   62504960 26672128  35832832  43% /media/removable/SD Card
    USB slot:
    /dev/sda1               fuseblk   62504960 26672128  35832832  43% /media/removable/SD Card

The Samsung 64GB is probably NTFS filesystem.
    For a short moment, I was wondering if the adapter (micro sd to regular sd or to USB) can change the way it sees the MicroSD card, this doesn't stick to any logical explanation.

When running lsblk, I see only the device (no partition was created)
    mmcblk1       179:64   0 119.1G  0 disk 

Any ideas why I have the issue with the 128GB card and how to get this working properly?

I would appreciate any help, I need to decide if it's better to downgrade this 128GB storage to 64GB version as I have the USB slot mostly occupied and I prefer to use MicroSD built-in reader for the cards.

• andrekrit
    andrekrit Member Posts: 2 New User
    I have exactly the same issue, but I do have a 64GB Sandisk Ultra micro SD card. I've found an 8GB Transcend card lying around that does work, so it's not a general SD card reader problem. Similar to your experience, the 64GB card does work if I use a USB adapter. I find this so weird (and frustrating!).
  • iYousif
    iYousif Member Posts: 1 New User
    Did you find any solution to this. I just bought "Samsung 64GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC Evo" and facing the same Snap! message! It even not seeing the card if I took it out and insert it back again!

• anand_bliss
    anand_bliss Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm experiencing this problem right now with a Samsung 128 GB. The computer is not reading the card. Neither of my Asus computers are. 
  • Redan
    Redan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi
    Whilst looking to see if there was a maximum size for the micro SD card slot I came across this forum subject. I have just bought 2 Sandisk ultra 64Gb cards. As with other people, they work in my USB hub (Droix 7 port hub) either in the micro, or the standard, sd card slots but not in the designated micro slot on the body of the computer. However, my old 32 Gb micro sd card works a treat in any slot. Does any engineer from Acer ever look at this stuff and make a useful comment?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    Some models are SDHC only, some allow XC cards in a HC slot and support XC fully. Any that are SDHC only will max out at 32GB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ch4204
    ch4204 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bon le R13 il lui faut une microsd  maxi de 32Gb sinon vous en êtes pour vos frais....
  • gghh
    gghh Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm having the same issue. R13. Chrome OS 71.0.3578.127. It recognizes 8GB and 16GB cards I had laying around, but doesn't seem to recognize two different 64GB cards from different manufacturers. 
  • Fireb4ll455
    Fireb4ll455 Member Posts: 4 New User
    I have the same problem with my Acer Chromebook, CB5-312T-K5X4, (R13) with a brand new 256 GB Sandisk Micro sdxc card with a V10 rating, (model# ?) 9221DVAC6472.  Nothing comes up and the "files" manager doesn't show the card in the file system.  
    The Chromebook will read the two other sdxc cards I have. Both are much smaller capacity at 32GB. Also, my son's Win 10 machine can see the Sandisk sdxc card, format it (exfat32) and write to it. Afterwards, the Chromebook still didn't see the Sandisk 256 GB card.  So the 256GB card works and the Chromebook's slot works, just not with each other. How do I make them work together?  If it won't work by design limitations, I feel misled by stating that is has the card slot but not stating the obvious limitation.  BTW, you can buy 512 GB microSDXC cards now.  These cards are usually used as a workaround for the very limited storage capacity of the emmc "hard drives".  If the slot is limited to 32GB and cannot be upgraded, all of these Chromebooks just became obsolete.  I'll be returning mine asap.
    Let me know.
  • SJGAR82
    SJGAR82 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH MY Acer Chromebook R13. CAN ANYONE DIRECT ME TO AN ANSWER. I CANNOT SEEM TO FIND ANY SOLUTIONS ANYWHERE.
    THANKS
  • rnewing2028
    rnewing2028 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Having the same problem on my R13 Chromebook with 64GB and 256GB  Sandisk SDXC cards. Originally I would get the "not recognized.  Need to format" error, but now that doesn't even happen.  It would be nice to hear a solution from Acer.
  • billsey
    @rnewing2028 which model of R13 do you have? As stated above some models have SDHC slots and some have SDXC. The SDXC versions work with larger cards, the SDHC ones max out at 32GB.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryloe
    Larryloe Member Posts: 4 New User
    How can you tell which slot you have between SDHC & SDXC?
  • billsey
    They are identical to the eye. You have to look at the specs for your model to know for sure. Most SDHC implementations work fine with SDXC cards, even very large cards, but usually don't support formatting for a card larger than the SDHC spec allows (32GB).
  • Soupman1100
    Soupman1100 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Ok…I just bought a new Spin 713 from Best Buy.  I have the exact same problem while trying to read 128 GB micro SDXC card in my new chrome book’s micro SD card slot. It does not recognize the card and asks me to format the micro SD card.  I can take that same micro SDXC card and put it into a USB reader that plugs into the USB C port and it can read that 128 GB card just fine. What is the solution to this problem? I read above that somebody bought smaller cards and called that a solution. That’s not a solution.  Please help!
  • billsey
    @Soupman1100 you should start a different thread, your model isn't an R13 Chromebook, so you likely have a completely different card socket. Include which Spin 713 model you have, it should be something like CP713-xxx-xxxx, and the issues you are seeing. Once we know which model you have we can verify specs.
  • Soupman1100
    Soupman1100 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

billsey said:
    @Soupman1100 you should start a different thread, your model isn't an R13 Chromebook, so you likely have a completely different card socket. Include which Spin 713 model you have, it should be something like CP713-xxx-xxxx, and the issues you are seeing. Once we know which model you have we can verify specs.
    Ok, thanks for the response. 
  • ferkemall
    ferkemall Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

gghh said:
    I'm having the same issue. R13. Chrome OS 71.0.3578.127. It recognizes 8GB and 16GB cards I had laying around, but doesn't seem to recognize two different 64GB cards from different manufacturers. 
    Same here got an R13 so put the card in from my droid phone ,so that will work righ ?wrong and i had to go looking for the card its 32g so should work but does not ,seems there are an awful lot of people with the same problem ,i have not tried the usb adaptor yet but the  point is why should you have to take all the stuff off the card & then format the card ? the whole idea of a mico card slot is either use it to store information or use the files you have on it ,and why is it when you put a card in there is nothing to say its even there 

ACER you really need to sort this out as its causing a lot of problems for thousands of users !
  • JJSW
    JJSW Member Posts: 2 New User
    So here we are in May 2022 and this still appears to be a problem!

I have a Spin 713 (CP713-3W-52AL)
    I'm (trying) to use a SanDisk Ultra 32gb  A1 Micro SDHC-1 card
    The card is formatted to NTFS
    When in the SD card slot of my Spin I can see the card in Files
    When I transfer data from Google Drive the first 2 or 3 files copy over but then I get an error message that the disk is unusable
    I can read the files that have copied over

With the SD Card removed from the SD Slot and put in a USB reader, then re-inserted, I can see the files that have copied over but am UNABLE to copy any other files, receiving the same error message as before

Using a W10 machine:
    Without reformatting the card, I put it into a W10 laptop
    I copied over 984 files (11.4 gb of data)

Back to my Acer:
    With the SD Card still in the USB Reader and with it inserted into my Acer ...
    ... I can see and read the files I open (although I have n't opened all 984 of them

And with the SD card in the SD slot I can see and access the files.

I'm no computer engineer, just a user; to me this is an Acer hardware read/write problem. And from the history of this Acer Community message board, a problem that been identified and persisting for far too long.