Predator Helios 300 power button issue

Hyyy6
Hyyy6 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I've got my new Predator helios 300 and it has been working really greatly for now, no issues like some angry customers had.

The only thing is that my power button doesn't seem to work while laptop is running, it just ingores this button being pressed. I mean, it perfectly turns on after I press power button, but it doesn't wanna neither turn off, nor go to sleep/hybernate after the laptop has turned on. I've tried changing what it shall do on pressing this button in power plan options, it took no effect.

It might be that as this button is located on the keyboard near other buttons its intentionaly turned off so people dont accidently press it, but still wondering. And I can still press this button for a few seconds to force a shutdown.

PS

I've performed a clean installation and couldn't install Acer's predator sense app because there were some issues with the website. Does this app provide smth apart from setting up fan speed on my own? And one more thing, USB port are so tight, has anyone experienced that?

[inappropriate content removed]

Best Answer

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

It seems when the laptop is already powered on you have to hold the power button down for 2-3 seconds for anything to happen. I have mine set to sleep and if I just press it once it won't go to sleep, if I hold the button down though it will go into sleep mode. This is designed this way to prevent accidental usage most likely.

I don't believe PredatorSense provides any extra functionality aside from the CoolBoost feature, of which there isn't much documentation or information on what it does specifically. You'll probably be okay with another program but maybe the website was just being funky I'd try downloading it again.

Yes the USB ports are pretty tight but I don't see any downsides to this. It was surprising at first but you get used to it after awhile.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I don't know anything about the power button.

Predator Sense is only for setting up macros and fan speed.

I don't know why you say that USB ports being tight is an issue. In my opinion it is a good feature.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Flx
    Flx Member Posts: 466 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

It seems when the laptop is already powered on you have to hold the power button down for 2-3 seconds for anything to happen. I have mine set to sleep and if I just press it once it won't go to sleep, if I hold the button down though it will go into sleep mode. This is designed this way to prevent accidental usage most likely.

I don't believe PredatorSense provides any extra functionality aside from the CoolBoost feature, of which there isn't much documentation or information on what it does specifically. You'll probably be okay with another program but maybe the website was just being funky I'd try downloading it again.

Yes the USB ports are pretty tight but I don't see any downsides to this. It was surprising at first but you get used to it after awhile.

• amber75
    amber75 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I got my new Acer Helios 300, Am getting problem with my USB 3.0 port. I connected my external hard drive through USB 3.0 but after when I shutdown the laptop, my external hard drive still getting power up. How can I off properly.
  • Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    It's most likely a delay Acer implemented since this button space used to be occupied by the end key..... Maybe to prevent accidently muscle memory hitting power button? 
    - Hotel Hero
  • writeshh
    writeshh Member Posts: 1 New User
    Red-Sand said:
    It's most likely a delay Acer implemented since this button space used to be occupied by the end key..... Maybe to prevent accidently muscle memory hitting power button? 
    Install the "Acer Quick Access" application, you can turn it off from there.

Here's the link: https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Application/Quick Access/Quick Access_Acer_2.01.3025_W10x64_A.zip?acerid=636650606546664771&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR G3-572&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_27

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    amber75 said:
    I got my new Acer Helios 300, Am getting problem with my USB 3.0 port. I connected my external hard drive through USB 3.0 but after when I shutdown the laptop, my external hard drive still getting power up. How can I off properly.
    Go to Acer Care Center and turn off "power off usb charging".
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045