Helios 300 overheating

Options
Srinidhin1
Srinidhin1 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

While playing CS:Go My CPU temps max at 100C and average near 95C. My GPU temps max at 95 and average at 90. Is this temperature too high? What can I do to reduce the temperature? Will updating my BIOS and drivers help?

Answers

• hiteshgavini171
    hiteshgavini171 Member Posts: 48 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Those temperatures are very hight gpu st 90-95° it is way too high, I don't think updating drivers would change much,give it a try,if it doesn't works contact acer and send it to warranty
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options

To reduce the temps you can repaste the CPU and GPU with high quality thermal paste like thermal grizzly kryonaut and Arctic MX-4. You are going to lose the warranty if you repaste it yourself. Also you can reduce the temperatures by undervolting the CPU with XTU by intel, or Throttle Stop.

If you are confident that you can do the repasting yourself, which is not hard and you don't care about losing warranty, I suggest you to repaste it yourself. If you don't want to lose warranty and feel comfortable waiting weeks for Acer to fix your laptop, which I think is very unlikely for them to do it properly, go for it - warranty repair.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Srinidhin1
    Options

My system idles at 45C. Is that normal first of all?

• hiteshgavini171
    Options
    not at all
  • Srinidhin1
    Options

Others were idling around 34-40C. My Laptop went into autoshutdown twice and i have logged about 20 hours in 100C. Will this have caused any problem? Can I know all the options to reduce the temps. It is completely a no brainer to buy a gaming laptop and not game in it just because it overheats. I'm in this mixed state for around 2 weeks.

• ven98
    Options

'My system idles at 45C. Is that normal first of all?'

Yes it is, considering that you fans are set to auto, and are not spinning at their maximum speed. 

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• ven98
    Options

There are only 3 options to reduce your temperatures. 

1st - repaste 

2nd - undervolt the CPU -150mv

3rd - send it to Acer for repair

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Srinidhin1
    Options

Repasting will void my warranty right? Even when my fans are at max the temps lurk around 43C.

• TDK1044
    TDK1044 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

Mine idles at 37 degrees with the fans set to auto.

• ven98
    Options

REPASTING VOIDS WARRANTY!

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Srinidhin1
    Options

Will repasting it in a authorized acer service centre in India will void the warranty?

• hiteshgavini171
    Options
    my one same problem going over 90°c easily while gaming,i am in india,can i go to acer care ?
  • Srinidhin1
    Options
    Did u buy in India..I bought it in the US..So there is no chance of replacement. They say that using the laptop in an AC room will reduce temps by at least 5 degrees and I think it's logical to reach that temps since I m playing CSGO for prolonged hours in small room with 9 other laptops
  • kingofdevils
    kingofdevils Member Posts: 13 New User
    Options
    I m also getting this in india, can you please confirm and give your honest opinion about this device. Share contact numbers. Even i want to play cs:go and all latest games on this. Right now it's in USA where the average weather temp is just about 25 degrees Celcius and the laptop sits at 50-60 degrees when idle cpu 2-12% usage but in india delhi we have hot climate and average weather is around 35-40 degrees.
  • hiteshgavini171
    Options
    Ya i bought in US only and i am using in ac but temperatures are going above 90 easily while playing f1 2016
  • kingofdevils
    Options
    Have you guys updated your bios to version 1.05 and latest nvidia drivers which is on acer's support website. You should make sure cool boost in ON in Predator Sense application and Fans set to AUTO
  • Srinidhin1
    Options
    That's the only thing we didn't do and honestly I feel that won't make any difference. We can use a cooling pad and sit in a open room with good airflow
  • kingofdevils
    Options
    Have sent you my contact number you guys also share yours. Check you private message.
  • ven98
    Options

If you want to drop your temperatures repaste the unit yourself or send it to Acer for repair. You can also undervolt it.

-Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• Hariking
    Hariking Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Is my laptop also is very heating I can bought just 2 days before only but my lap was heating
    What can I do...??