Aspire VN7-792G SSD Upgrade

Options
MrObvious
MrObvious Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my SSD to 1TB.  From what I have been researching it seems the SSD in an M.2?  Can someone confirm the please? Also, when I look on Newegg I notice there are two different M.2.  One is just M.2 and the other is M.2 2280. Are both of these compatible with my machine?

Thank you

Answers

• dowst
    dowst Member Posts: 30 Troubleshooter
    Options

If you read throught this forum you will find that lots of people are having problems with SSD's in the m2 slot, which is a 2280 form factor

Does your machine have an SSD in the m2 slot? if so is it a NVM or a SATA slot it depends on the motherboard sub-version.

Is a NVM controler showing in your Windows device manager window?

What SSD is currently installed?

I currently have a SAMSUNG 950 Pro running. BUT it will not accept windows feature updates! still on 1511

• pwnstar
    pwnstar Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options
    I just upgraded mine to the samsung 960 evo, migrated using minitool partition, and using the latest version of windows 10. Everything works flawlessly. I had to redo the thermal pasting which was horrible. Also make sure you unplug your main hdd after your migrate using the tool, boot a couple times from ssd (shutdown, restart) then plug back your main hdd. you will be able to boot from the ssd no probs.
  • dowst
    Options

Hi pawnstar

Did yor machine come originaly fitted with an ssd if can you tell what make and model please.

Did you perform a feature update with the old ssd?

Have you performed a feature update while using the 960 pro?

I ask this as there as a number of owners who have installed 950 pro's aftermarket, the machines boot and work from the sssd but fail to feature update. Acer/Samsung/Microsoft all seam to be kicking the can down the road say in its not our problem. But is a big problem for the owners, so any information would be very much appreciated.

• pwnstar
    Options
    When I first bought my machine from the acer reseller, it didnt have an ssd inside. what's weird is that when I enter my laptop's serial number on acer's website, it says that it had originally a 128 ssd inside. here's what I did to make it work: I had updated all my drivers and windows fully before I even started (im on the latest creator's update build). Now I plugged my 960 evo and then booted into bios; it was recognized there so I used it as my #1 boot priority. (to check which ssd you can install, download an app called HWinfo, and in the bus information if you see a pci x4 empty, it means you can install an nvme m.2 ssd, there's a thread here on the forum explaining in detail how to do that.) next I booted windows, the ssd was still inactive, so I downloaded the driver from samsung website and installed it, then I used minitool partition free to migrate OS. After it was done I shut down, unplugged my original hard drive, rechecked the bios boot priority, booted a few times from the ssd, then plugged in my original hdd. When I went into windows, my ssd was named c: and the original c: partition was disabled, I enabled it from disk management and gave it a new drive letter. and thats all! PS: excuse the punctuation, I have java disabled.
  • dowst
    Options

Thanks for the reply. To summaries

After market 960 EVO NVMe in the m2 slot with CU 1703 cloned from the HD.

No feature update perfomed since ssd was installed.

• pwnstar
    Options
    yep, do all your windows updates from the normal hdd then clone and it should be fine, no errors so far. I just installed it today.