What kind of ping time are normal for the R13?

drschrott
drschrott Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I have an R13, and while I love it, the Wifi connection has been rather poor, to the point of where using it for remote desktop into my work is very hard.

Here's what I tested so far:

Running a ping on both the R13 and my Windows machine, same Wifi network and frequency, same time, same IP pinged, there is a vast difference in ping times, with the Windows machine being very consistently low, the R13 all over the place, almost always significantly higher.

Even more telling, pinging my router gives a consistent <1ms on the Windows machine, between 5-10ms on the R13.

I tried this on a different Wifi network to make sure it's not a function of the network (no difference), and I powerwashed the R13 (no difference).

What kind of ping times are you guys getting to things like your Wifi router? I feel this type of variation can't be right, and since I'm still inside warranty I wonder whether I should have it exchanged.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

Ping times are to a certain extent OS dependent. Better to run some of the internet speed tests and do nslookups to map out the bottlenecks.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • tdamocles
    tdamocles Member Posts: 1 New User
    It could be just be certain routers that don't play nice.  I have a Tenda ac15 and Linksys acm3200 (on ddwrt firmware) on the 5ghz band and for the life of me can't connect to the Linksys.  I keep getting password authentication error.