Windows 10 is unable to load CIR Nuvonton Transceiver driver

Alex4e
Alex4e Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives

Windows 10 can't load CIR Vuvoton transceiver driver on Aspire 5920 laptop Mdl# ZD1.

Windows Error Message "Code 31".

Have tried driver install, delete & uninstall numerous times without success. No driver updates on Windows either.

Any suggested fixes?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Since I'm not aware of Win10 Vuvoton driver updates for your system, you might try to install earlier versions in either Win7 or WinXP compatibility mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Since I'm not aware of Win10 Vuvoton driver updates for your system, you might try to install earlier versions in either Win7 or WinXP compatibility mode. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Alex4e
    Alex4e Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

How do you install the CIR driver in Windows 7 mode when running Win 10?

Shouldn't these drivers be the same?

The driver that I have was downloaded directly from the ACER website. It's an old one. And I am not sure if it ever worked to begin with under Vista + since it was never used.

• JackE

>>>it was never used.>>>

And you're even less likely to ever use it now since it's a rarely-used ancient infra-red line-of-sight device communication protocol, like a TV remote. However, to answer your compatibility=mode question, right click on the CIR driver installation file. Then left click on properties. In the box that pops up, right click on the compatibility menuitem. And then run the installation file in Win7 compatibility mode. No guarantees it will work but I doubt you'll ever have a need to use the protocol anyway.  Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• shenkee
    shenkee Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2020
    Sorry, I realized that this is near a year old thread, but I now found a driver at Lenovo site. It is a Windows7 driver, but I succesfully installed it on a Toshiba laptop running Windows10 x64. 
  • JackE
    @shenkee Thanks for the advice. If ACER forum users use a Toshiba Win10 laptop, they now know they should install the Lenovo Win7 IR driver instead of the ACER Win7 IR driver in compatiblity mode.   =) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• disastermaster2k
    disastermaster2k Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited January 2020
    shenkee said:
    Sorry, I realized that this is near a year old thread, but I now found a driver at Lenovo site. It is a Windows7 driver, but I succesfully installed it on a Toshiba laptop running Windows10 x64. 
    Shen Kee

Yes. The driver works on a acer 5920G, with windows 10 x64 build 1909. But you have to do the following after installing the lenovo driver. When installed the device manager will still show a yellow exclamation mark. You have to appoint the driver manyaly. So go to the device manager, click search on my pc for drivers, then click i want to choose from a list from my computer, uncheck the box that says compatible hardware, then you will see a Winbond HID CIR receiver. Select that one and continue. After installing the yellow mark is gone.

Not sure if the IR works but hey; who cares; all we want is to remove the yellow mark from the device manager so that we can sleep well ;-)
  • slick1
    slick1 Member Posts: 10 New User
    That works.
    Lenovo must either be using the same chip or perhaps the Winbond is a compatible chip?

Does anyone know what chipset we're dealing with... as knowing that allows you to match the driver more easily.
    The Intel updater failed to find any updates for the hardware.
    It seems to be looking only at existing software installed rather than the hardware on the laptop... even though it lists most of the Intel hardware (excluding the CIR). Maybe the CIR isn't Intel?
    That would explain why the Winbond driver works but nothing from Intel does?
    Also tried Driver Booster (driver updating software) without any success. 
    Driver Booster tends to look only at installed software and doesn't match at the hardware level... which explains why it misses so many drivers.
    As soon as you install the correct driver (even a very old one) Driver Booster is very useful at finding newer versions.

Consumer Infra Red (CIR) isn't very important to most of us... so it's not a major issue if it doesn't work. 

Here's one reason why the Lenovo driver solutions works on an Acer:
    The Acer Nuvoton driver (*.inf) is only certified for Win7 and is dated 10/7/2009.
    The Lenovo WinBond driver (*.inf) seems to be certified for Win8 and 8.1 and is dated 18/10/2009

The increased compatibility with a later version of Windows seems to be the key?

For anyone wondering... it's common for different computer manufacturers to use the same chips.
    This is why it's often possible to use a driver from some other company and have it work on your hardware.

That's why you should identify the chipset rather than just the name when looking for a driver?

:-)