Acer C720P Swollen Battery

ogkoreanjesus
ogkoreanjesus Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

As the title states, I have a C720P that I noticed has recently been having issues. The trackpad has been hard to press and the space around it was bulging. 

I opened it up and found the battery to have expanded to almost twice its size. To my knowledge this is not a standard occurrence. 

As some background info, the computer is never exposed to hot environments. It sits in my office and occasionally next to my bed. So I know it hasn't been exposed to anything it shouldn't. Additionally I have always used the Acer charger that it came with. 

Can anyone wiht Acer tell me why this is happenend? I understand that it's two years old but seriously, this shouldn't happen. My Surface Pro that I've had for three years is nothing like this.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

this happens when an internal battery cell break, the only way to fix it is to replace it.

why it happened?

hard to say, they are battery and sometimes a little overheat or current drop or internal leak; it can happen on big production batch  (samsung note 7...)

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • techtchr
    techtchr Member Posts: 1 New User
    We purchased 34 C720's a few years back and every one of them is swelling. I've had batteries go bad, but not swell up. I'm concerned they may burst and hurt a student. Bad batch of batteries? I've never had this happen to any other Chromebook or laptop batteries, ever.
  • rlaconis
    rlaconis Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

We had 76 of the 90 we ordered just do the same on the c740s - I reached out with Acer directly and sent in the SNIDs of each. They did make things right and shipped us off new batteries. I honestly feel there is something wrong with that particular battery model.
  • C720Chromebook
    C720Chromebook Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello. My C720 Chromebook's battery has now expanded to the point where the track pad doesn't work and the screen does not close. I did not know what it was until I found this forum. What are my options? What have been some of the solutions that Acer has provided? Thanks.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi C720Chromebook,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems, I have sent you a PM requesting the information that I need to have a Premier customer advocate follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny
  • bay555
    bay555 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i work at whitefish bay ms and we purchased 2 years ago 100 c720's and as of now 78 of them have batteries swelling. and on 21 of them you cannot click on the space bar
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi bay555,

Sorry to hear that you’re having problems, I have sent you a PM requesting the information that I need to have a Premier customer advocate follow up and help with this matter.

Thanks,
    Acer-Manny