XF270HU occasionally goes black for a few seconds while browsing/streaming, then returns to normal

jharmes5
jharmes5 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives

I have an XF270HU, and the problem is that occasionally the screen will go black and the panel backlight will seem to turn off and on again before the picture returns to normal. This typically happens when I'm just browsing the web or streaming (roughly once every couple minutes), and it very rarely happens when I am gaming (Overwatch, Witcher 3, Dota2...all at 1440p). I have tried 4 different DP 1.2 cables, and multiple different power cables, and nothing has worked. I am using a Radeon R9 290X with updated Catalyst 17.6.1 drivers. I can also see horizontal artifacts on the screen as well. My last monitor was a 25" HP @ 1080p, and I never had an issue like this with that while using this same system.

I've been wanting to upgrade to an RX 580 with hopes that it is my graphics card, but they are impossible to find at the moment for a reasonable price. I would prefer not to switch to Nvidia so I can keep using Freesync.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Answers

• Shrimpanzee
    Shrimpanzee Member Posts: 3 New User

I have also had this issue with the same monitor. It's happened maybe 5 times during the month I've owned it; only while browsing, never when gaming. I do not use FreeSync because I have an Nvidia GPU. Been searching around and haven't really found anyone with a solution. Some guy with an XB270HU said he fixed his black flickering with a new DP cable, but his issue seemed a little different (very rapid change to black opposed to our 2-5 seconds).

• jharmes5
    jharmes5 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I actually kind of solved the issue. I sold my R9 290x due to the mining craze, and my GeForce 1050 ti has 0 issues. I would try a different card if possible and see if that solves it.
  • Shrimpanzee
    Shrimpanzee Member Posts: 3 New User

Interesting, thanks! How long have you had the new card? The first few days I had my monitor, it happened 4 times in one session. 25 days passed with no issues and then it happened once today. Currently using a GTX 1080. If the problem was easily reproducible, I would definitely try a different GPU.

• sPaZ187
    sPaZ187 Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having the same issue.. with RX580.. any fix?
  • Luukth
    Luukth Member Posts: 2 New User
    I also have this issue, with a displayport cable my screen will go black for 1-5 seconds mostly while gaming. When I connect using a HDMI cable the screen wil actually turn off and on again. Running a GTX 970.
  • Luukth
    Luukth Member Posts: 2 New User
    TaDaa said:
    Had this issue on XF250q (similar monitor I believe) as well.  Pretty sure this is a problem with the Acer driver. Only thing that worked for me was:
    1) Install acer monitor driver
    2) Download ToastyX CRU and create a couple custom resolutions (you don't actually have to use them, but I think this utility was able to enable FreeSync with generic windows pnp driver)
    3) Uninstall acer monitor driver (Windows should auto install Generic pnp monitor) / verify FreeSync is still enabled.

1 week so far with no black screens...fingers crossed
    Was this the file you downloaded?  https://www.acer.com/ac/nl/NL/content/support-product/6345?b=1